Redsea reefer g2+ dual returns

BaldAndBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, I have a redsea reefer 525 g2+. Comes with two return pipes but the connector in the sump area joins to a single return. I'd like to convert these into individual returns but being new to aquarium plumbing I'm a little confused on the connectors needed.

As seen in the pic the connectors have a red o-ring on them and I can't seem to find anything to match this. Any idea what type of connectors I need to be looking for here? Had thought about just cutting these off at the first joint but that wouldn't leave me much pipe to work with so figured I should look for new connectors.

16856213511588075227190846836092.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am not entirely sure about what you wish to achieve here! :) Are you looking at running two return pumps; one for each nozzle?

If so, you will need two separate pipes which your tank might not be drilled for!

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry. Not 100% sure here so see if one of these answers helps:

1. It should be standard PVC in fancy colors. I assume the ring screw/on and assembly goes on the pump. Cut it as high up as you can and attach a PVC coupler to it so you can extend it or whatever.

2. Two return pumps requires two separate return lines to your tank. Or…

3. Two return pumps to one return line requires check valves right after each pump or things can get weird. You can run the second return line up and over the edge of your aquarium.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the plumbing diagram for the 525 G2 and I can't seem to find that bit of pipe from the picture..

It’s part R42325G2 by all appearances. It’s the T for their return lines I think.

If true:

They must want to use 2 return pumps but the bulkhead connector is proprietary.

Assuming it’s standard PVC in red: They need to:

1. Cut the proprietary fittings leaving as much red pipe as possible attached to them.

2. Glue PVC couplers or unions onto the now exposed red pipe.

3. Plumb each new individual pipe section with coupler or union onto their new pumps.

They will need:

2 couplers or unions
PVC cement and primer
The appropriate size PVC in the appropriate length
The appropriate fittings for their new return pumps (make sure the pump has fittings for the pipe).
Recommended: PVC pipe cutters

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s part R42325G2 by all appearances. It’s the T for their return lines I think.

If true:

1. Cut the proprietary fittings leaving as much red pipe as possible attached to them.

3. Plumb each new individual pipe section with coupler or union onto their new pumps.

They will need:

2 couplers or unions
PVC cement and primer
The appropriate fittings for their new return pumps (make sure the pump has fittings for the pipe).
I agree with this! :)

OP
OP
BaldAndBeard

BaldAndBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If true:

They will need:

2 couplers or unions
PVC cement and primer

This is correct on the part. Looks like these are the steps that I will follow and if I somehow jack things up I know I can at least order a replacement part online, lol. Thanks!

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct on the part. Looks like these are the steps that I will follow and if I somehow jack things up I know I can at least order a replacement part online, lol. Thanks!
Best of luck. PVC cement and Primer is easy to use. Making it look super clean without purple everywhere is hard.

Double returns pumps is the way to go. ++ if you can run them both at X% with the option to remotely bump up one of them to 2X% if one dies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back