Redsea Revival - My 69g Money Pit

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just crossed my 2nd year being in the reefing hobby and I think it's time for another expensive project! Around New year's, I had the fortunate opportunity to pick up a used tank from a family friend who had left the hobby a few years ago. This was a Redsea Max E-260 with presumably the "sump upgrade". The tank was covered in dried vermetids, the usual dried coralline/gunk, and strangely a layer of black grease over every flat surface. For context, I have never purchased a large tank brand new and have always acquired used tanks because they're so much cheaper. My current system is a 66g tank that I purchased used as well. It grows my koji wada nephtheas/hammers/torches way too well and my acros are finally starting to take off after 2 years. Based on this, I wanted to make this new system into a SPS-dominanted system. Here's a picture of the redsea tank when I first got it:
946EEE89-BD91-4D2B-AF6E-FFD304B20867.jpeg

I spent a week trying to scrub everything off manually and running vinegar and tap water through the system. A bunch of razor blades later and two ruined brushes later, I was able to get the black grease layer off or the bottom of the display and sump tanks. I have no idea what this gunk was but not even 3 days of vinegar or citric acid would loosen this gunk off.

I performed a leak test with the system and lo and behold...there was water leaking from all 3 pipes (drain, emergency drain, return). It looks like the tank sitting out in the air for the past 3 years has caused the O-rings to crack. I bought a set of aftermarket o-rings and luckily the leaks went away!

After cleaning up the tank, I got to work with my first draft of my rockscape. I used a combination of fiberglass rods and marco cement to get the overhangs to stick...but something was off about this design and it never sit well with me. This was how it looked like initially:

1FF81F69-B558-4796-942B-2497CA14CF4F.jpeg

After days of trying to rearrange things, I decided to grab my chisel and destroy the entire rockscape into pieces. I watched the BRS video on NSA rockscapes and spent the next week with a bunch of superglue, insta-set, and cement to get to my final design. I am super happy with this design because it looks so different depending on the angle you're looking at. I wanted to take my experiences from my other two tanks and craft something that will make it easy for me to position SPS frags all along the rockwork. I also wanted a lot of overhangs to allow for adequate flow. Here's the end result from different angles.

6EA78FED-8A26-47BB-B4C1-C39C80A657CF.jpeg

FA63DC72-5B34-44C1-B5AC-A9C39A136022.jpeg

D8C56A16-171D-401F-8502-6E6A545EBE56.jpeg

I purchased another MP40 to match with the one that came with the used system so that I can have antisync'ed, random flow through the system. I absolutely hate noise so I'm running a jebao DCP-4000 (the quietest return pump I have ever owned). There is currently no skimmer running right now as the old octo skimmer hums more than I would like. I'm waiting for the aquamaxx skimmers to come back in stock (if they ever do...). For lighting, I slapped a couple of hydras to the back and plan on adding two T5 bars w/ ATI coral plus bulbs right between the two LEDs in the future. Here's the current result:

10356C11-2286-438A-B53D-7A6CA7CFAF0A.jpeg

I'm using bottled bio-spira to get things going as well as some large pieces of the caribsea "live rock" that supposedly has bacterial spores to help with the cycle. Dosing ammonium chloride every couple of days to feed the bacteria. For sand, I'm running caribsea special grade live sand knowing that I'll be using a ton of flow in this system and special grade tends to not blow off as easily. Now it's currently cycling! Thanks for reading, will update as I go on.

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, I actually got nightmares from it. Not sure what it was or how this accumulated in the old owner's house. I ruined a couple of microfiber clothes trying to rub off the gunk. The only thing that kind of worked in getting it out was high strength dish soap. I hope there's no long lasting effects of it because I spent so many hours cleaning it up

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency situation #1. Tonight I did a routine check on my tank and noticed a TON of dried salt all over the main drain pipe in the sump (even covering the drain valve). The only thing I could think of was that the downpipe at the top part of the tank was not screwed in tightly enough into the red sea proprietary bulkhead. I went to the back and as soon as I touched the downpipe, I felt the entire pipe move. No one should ever expect their main downpipe to MOVE when you touch it. I immediately hear water drain into my sump. I immediately pull out my python water changer and drain as much water out of the overflow. I could not believe my eyes when I pulled out the downpipe.

94C301F5-9654-47F2-810A-D062FC33249C.jpeg

As you can see in the picture, this is supposed to be ONE pipe, not two. Somehow the pipe cracked at the area where it meets the bulkhead. Not sure if this is because of old age or what, but everything was running smooth for over a month during cycling.

Here's my current setup now:

DE11D045-7388-477A-99FA-192D8B68573C.jpeg

28D0A2F7-9E98-4D3D-813F-FDD8885B144B.jpeg

My tank is only about half full (the point where water doesn't drain into my sump anymore). Stuck my heater into my display and a tiny jebao 0w-10 facing the top for surface agitation. The little jebao is surprising capable and glad I had it as a spare pump to help provide oxygen and flow for my lone baby foxface.

Now the wait begins for a replacement piping kit because of course downpipes aren't sold separately for the max E series tanks....

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emergency situation #1. Tonight I did a routine check on my tank and noticed a TON of dried salt all over the main drain pipe in the sump (even covering the drain valve). The only thing I could think of was that the downpipe at the top part of the tank was not screwed in tightly enough into the red sea proprietary bulkhead. I went to the back and as soon as I touched the downpipe, I felt the entire pipe move. No one should ever expect their main downpipe to MOVE when you touch it. I immediately hear water drain into my sump. I immediately pull out my python water changer and drain as much water out of the overflow. I could not believe my eyes when I pulled out the downpipe.

94C301F5-9654-47F2-810A-D062FC33249C.jpeg

As you can see in the picture, this is supposed to be ONE pipe, not two. Somehow the pipe cracked at the area where it meets the bulkhead. Not sure if this is because of old age or what, but everything was running smooth for over a month during cycling.

Here's my current setup now:

DE11D045-7388-477A-99FA-192D8B68573C.jpeg

28D0A2F7-9E98-4D3D-813F-FDD8885B144B.jpeg

My tank is only about half full (the point where water doesn't drain into my sump anymore). Stuck my heater into my display and a tiny jebao 0w-10 facing the top for surface agitation. The little jebao is surprising capable and glad I had it as a spare pump to help provide oxygen and flow for my lone baby foxface.

Now the wait begins for a replacement piping kit because of course downpipes aren't sold separately for the max E series tanks....
Sorry to see that problem with your pluming. It is metric and you will probably have a hard time finding it.
You can go to Red Seas website and see parts list and get the part number. Google the part number and see it there is one for sale some were. Red Sea doesn't like to retail parts. They want you to go to a dealer or distributer.

I couldn't find a part I need a while back. I reached out to RS Support and explained I tried to find the part but no one had it. The took payment and shipped it to me. Good luck. Looks like it will be a nice build.

OP
OP
mikereefing

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that problem with your pluming. It is metric and you will probably have a hard time finding it.
You can go to Red Seas website and see parts list and get the part number. Google the part number and see it there is one for sale some were. Red Sea doesn't like to retail parts. They want you to go to a dealer or distributer.

I couldn't find a part I need a while back. I reached out to RS Support and explained I tried to find the part but no one had it. The took payment and shipped it to me. Good luck. Looks like it will be a nice build.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind to contact RS support next time so I won't have to pay so much for the bundle vs just a separate pipe. During my panic that Friday night I just went ahead and ordered the piping kit asap

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back