Reef AB+ overdose

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used reef ab for about 2 weeks every 3 days and dosed 2ml for my Fluval evo 13gal

(I realize now that was a bit high I was halfing the reccomended and sperating by 3 days thiught that would even out)

I have noticed a few small patches of this grayish dust looking algae that I can only assume is the biofilm that the bottle says would form on rocks and sand. It's only on a few pieces of rubble and in 2 shader spots on the reef.

Question is if I hold back on reef ab, and go forward feeding the fish solely pellets and target feed my dendro, scoly, and two mini micromussa colonies mysis will the dust looking algae go away on its own? Or will I need to shake up the sand bed and toothbrush the rocks.

Doesn't seem to blow off rocks with my strongest baster, so I'd like to hope nutrient restriction will kill it off.

P.s. All corals and livestock is looking a-OK. Had to brush off a bit of the dusty algae from the corner of my acan colony so it wouldn't irritate but that's about it. Havnt noticed the snails going for it.

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just test nitrate and phosphate.
That's a given. I'm just asking specifically for the leftover gray dust looking algae from the reef ab. I wanna know if that will go away on its own as the water cleans out or do I have to manually remove the algae physically. It's just unsightly

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a given. I'm just asking specifically for the leftover gray dust looking algae from the reef ab. I wanna know if that will go away on its own as the water cleans out or do I have to manually remove the algae physically. It's just unsightly

Its hard to say without knowing what the algae is. I'd imagine it would go away. You can overdose reef energy with no problems in many scenarios so I wouldn't even say that any of this is related

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to say without knowing what the algae is. I'd imagine it would go away. You can overdose reef energy with no problems in many scenarios so I wouldn't even say that any of this is related
I mean the bottle literally says gray brown algae will form if u over dose and this is the only gray algae I've ever seen. So I'll assume the bottle called it. Considering nothing else changed still will assume it's the reef ab.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the bottle literally says gray brown algae will form if u over dose and this is the only gray algae I've ever seen. So I'll assume the bottle called it. Considering nothing else changed still will assume it's the reef ab.

Interesting as I have used doses way higher than recommend (like 50ml in a 75g) with no issues. I would just stir it or siphon it. It should go away regardless

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting as I have used doses way higher than recommend (like 50ml in a 75g) with no issues. I would just stir it or siphon it. It should go away regardless
I tried to work some of it up on the sand bed when I water changed. It Def made a dent. I'll just keep at it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back