reef angel

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works great for me. I started with the Plus in May 2017 and then bought myself the Star for Christmas. Instead of selling the Plus, I set up in a way that if the Star goes out, I can drop the Plus right back in.

For me, the biggest features of the Star over the Plus are:
  1. LED touchscreen allowing you to turn on/off relays, enter modes (like feeding mode), and some other things, right from the controller itself. With the Star, there was no touchscreen, and you would have had to do some funky programming to manage relays and such with the controller’s joystick. Even though I manage my RA from my PC or phone 99% of the time, if my internet goes down or I have any sort of communication or computer problem, I can manage things from the controller itself.
  2. Ethernet connection, which allows you to download code from the cloud (e.g. the Webwizard) without connecting the controller to a PC via a usb cable. With the Plus, I had to disconnect and remove the mounted controller, connect a special usb cable, and plug into my PC to download code.
As far as running code is concerned, both controllers are pretty much the same.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets keep this thread going! I love seeing other reefers happy with their RA units. I have had the plus model for over 5 years and am very happy with it. I have added a rope leak detector and will be upgrading to the star unit soon so I can have more dimming and wifi control.
This unit does require some knowledge about programming but you definitely don't need to know how to program. Basically, if you can understand how a program is set up and ran then you can copy and paste chunks of code to make a program for yourself. You wont actually have to write your own code. The wizard also works for basic setups. Plus the forum on RA has just about everything you need if you spend the time searching.

I have thought about switching to an apex but the customization of this unit is what keeps me. I read something on a forum somewhere comparing apex to RA and the best example is this: Apex can top off your tank with water, but a RA can be programmed to check salinity first, then add either fresh saltwater or RODI water depending on the salinity. Apex sure cant do that...

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont see many posts because they just work. I grabbed one used two and a half years ago and I never have to mess with it. I take that back, it has dropped the time once or twice and the date once in that period.

dbmet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if anyone is using the Reef Angel Star and how you like it ?

U

User1

View Badges
Just curious if anyone is using the Reef Angel Star and how you like it ?

I do not. I've been a long time user of the RA+ though and it worked amazingly well. I only recently swapped over to the Apex as part of my upgrade and that was only because of the Trident. Otherwise I'd wager I'd still be using it. In fact, I may be implementing it again because of the lighting libraries and my custom multi channel LED arrays I have implemented to supplement my Kessil's.

More or less the same thing as the plus but different layout, display (which would be nice), and a few other things. It is all under the hood that make the RA stand out. The custom libraries. Geo location, true weather based on code loops and not set time of day every day, tides, etc. While I like my Apex the RA's custom libraries are what I miss the most. Haven't found anything like that on any of the over the counter controllers be it Neptune or GHL. Just not there nor will they have it anytime soon.

If you are looking at the RA look at what equipment you have, what you may get, and then what modules the RA offers to include cables. May make it a easier decision to make based on what you can control.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. I've been a long time user of the RA+ though and it worked amazingly well. I only recently swapped over to the Apex as part of my upgrade and that was only because of the Trident. Otherwise I'd wager I'd still be using it. In fact, I may be implementing it again because of the lighting libraries and my custom multi channel LED arrays I have implemented to supplement my Kessil's.

More or less the same thing as the plus but different layout, display (which would be nice), and a few other things. It is all under the hood that make the RA stand out. The custom libraries. Geo location, true weather based on code loops and not set time of day every day, tides, etc. While I like my Apex the RA's custom libraries are what I miss the most. Haven't found anything like that on any of the over the counter controllers be it Neptune or GHL. Just not there nor will they have it anytime soon.

If you are looking at the RA look at what equipment you have, what you may get, and then what modules the RA offers to include cables. May make it a easier decision to make based on what you can control.
So quick question. I posted to RA forum too, but I'm stuck trying to upload my base code and get a unable to program board.. any idea??

U

User1

View Badges
So quick question. I posted to RA forum too, but I'm stuck trying to upload my base code and get a unable to program board.. any idea??

Two things come to mind and both I'm sure you already checked but:

1. Did the code compile?
2. Do you have base communication to the RA?

I'm assuming it complied ok and is talking bug figured I'd ask.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things come to mind and both I'm sure you already checked but:

1. Did the code compile?
2. Do you have base communication to the RA?

I'm assuming it complied ok and is talking bug figured I'd ask.
SO yes code compiled fine. Ive done several Troubleshooting steps to see if its talking. Tried changing from com 3 to com 9.. tried an echo from command prompt, and even installed the old base software, and it seemed to work when i tested it through serial connector. It compiles fine, then no error other than it sits and spins and says can not program board. Im waiting on word from roberto, but i did post to their forums with what ive already tried. Admin mode, 2 different browsers, changing the ports etc.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use Arduino to upload code to the Star? I only have an RA+ that had never worked with the online compiler probably because I don't run the cloud attachment..

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use Arduino to upload code to the Star? I only have an RA+ that had never worked with the online compiler probably because I don't run the cloud attachment..
there's not an option in that tool for Star, as its supposed to go from the webwizard. This is for the first base code, so i cant even use it right now. Ive been working with Roberto, and it seems to be doing some odd things when we view in F12 developer console. FOr some reason the conf file doesnt seem to be creating, or its looking for a odd Unix path even though its a win PC. At least its not a connection issue with the Com port. I can talk to it via a CMD prompt with an echo, and it reboots, but when i try to push the code via the cable for base wizard code it doesn't do anything.

U

User1

View Badges
there's not an option in that tool for Star, as its supposed to go from the webwizard. This is for the first base code, so i cant even use it right now. Ive been working with Roberto, and it seems to be doing some odd things when we view in F12 developer console. FOr some reason the conf file doesnt seem to be creating, or its looking for a odd Unix path even though its a win PC. At least its not a connection issue with the Com port. I can talk to it via a CMD prompt with an echo, and it reboots, but when i try to push the code via the cable for base wizard code it doesn't do anything.

I went over to look at the post and see that he is looking at it. So he would be the best to know. It is starting up and looking for a file but it doesn't find it in the right spot and using /etc instead of your windows path. I'm assuming you are running on Windows and not Mac OS or Linux.

I wonder if he can give you the command line parameters to try. Open a command window on your PC assuming Windows and cd to the directory and run it manually to see if it over rides it. That or there is a configuration file that is incorrect. If that was the case I'd expect more people to have the issue.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went over to look at the post and see that he is looking at it. So he would be the best to know. It is starting up and looking for a file but it doesn't find it in the right spot and using /etc instead of your windows path. I'm assuming you are running on Windows and not Mac OS or Linux.

I wonder if he can give you the command line parameters to try. Open a command window on your PC assuming Windows and cd to the directory and run it manually to see if it over rides it. That or there is a configuration file that is incorrect. If that was the case I'd expect more people to have the issue.
Yea, its odd. Its almost like its using a Unix path which would be for MAC OS or Linux distro of your favorite flavor. Thats not a bad idea to try it command line. I just need to get this code on there so it can stand up on its own. The rest ill push through the web. Its so strange as it is looking for that odd path. Ive replaced the plugin more times than i can count. Connectivity is good, but it calls out to the .hex file expecting to find the .conf file and no dice... it sits there and doesnt do anything. Once i get past this, then it should all be gravy. I agree if it was a global issue, id expect far more people posting to the forum with issues, but then again, hard to say how many are trying to setup a new star at the same time.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doing more digging, waiting for a reply, i think now the root of the issue is likely a missing avrdude.conf file. Thats the file that the Hex file is calling to to do the work. It should be in the download from the plugin. Each time i try a new version, its still not getting created so not sure whats causing that. Its a step closer than i was last night though.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success is a wonderful thing! The last nugget i gave Roberto is that file wasnt created. Whatever he did, i reloaded web wizard and code wrote to RA just fine. I guess i was fighting that all along. I feel invested for sure! Frustrating, but fun at the same time. I cant wait to further program it to do all the things for me!

U

User1

View Badges
Success is a wonderful thing! The last nugget i gave Roberto is that file wasnt created. Whatever he did, i reloaded web wizard and code wrote to RA just fine. I guess i was fighting that all along. I feel invested for sure! Frustrating, but fun at the same time. I cant wait to further program it to do all the things for me!

Glad to hear. Honestly that is a really great community over there. A hidden gem in controllers.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. Honestly that is a really great community over there. A hidden gem in controllers.
Amen! Now im working on getting Uapp and cloud working on my tablet so i have that access. Slowly but surely! Now all that is left is the final cable management, and water in the tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back