Reef Breeder's LED and Mandarin Dragonett Nano

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the nano in 90 competition, I will be setting up a nano tank just for mandarin dragonetts and corals. I may add some cool fish like firefish, or picasso occeys, but the main focus will be mandarin dragonetts. A fuge will certainly be implemented, as well as live pods to keep the population healthy enough for the dragonetts to thrive. I plan on building a DIY glass or acrylic tank, but if I find a nice used one, I will certainly set it up.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sound like a fun build, look forward to following along.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final dimensions have been decided: 24"x24"x15" tall, rimless with a beananimal coast to coast, no powerheads will be used, I will be using 2 3/4" returns, probably about 1500gph total. Sounds extreme, but I want some good coral growth. I will be using a skimmer, lighting will be a par 38 bulb, ca/alk is undecided so far. The tank will be DIY with black silicon.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome. I was debating on setting up my 24 x 24 x 12 thats sitting out back to give me more space to play with, but I figured the 9 would be fun to work on as well.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome. I was debating on setting up my 24 x 24 x 12 thats sitting out back to give me more space to play with, but I figured the 9 would be fun to work on as well.

That's okay, send it to me and I'll do it for you :) I may try a really tiny tank one day, but I wanted to give the dragonetts a little room to hunt

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this! :) Are you keeping a stock of pods on the side to feed the tank?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you won't take it from me, take it from this:
reefmeme.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, for all you guys who want pics, here is the empty space that the tank will occupy:
rsz_dscf2807.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand will just about cover that outlet, perfect access :) I will be using a single par 38 LED bulb hung from the ceiling in a nice fixture that matches the ones I installed just to the left for the kitchen (not in the picture). There will be a dimmer switch in the wall to the right of the tank to dim the light, and I will have an EB8 under the stand, the USB cable will be run through the attic and down through the wall to the stand from my apex, which is perfect, since I happen to have an EB8 lying around :bounce: The power cord going to the light will come out of another box that I will install in the wall, and I will put an outlet on the cord, then plug it into my Apex, timer and dimmer, all built into the wall! For a sump, I will be using and extra 10 gallon tank that I have, and some glass baffles. The skimmer will be a bubble magus NAC3+, it is very compact and silent, which is perfect. For a return pump, I plan on an eheim compact plus. They have a flow adjuster, and are also silent. I will drill 4 holes in the bottom: 2 1" holes in a glass overflow box for the drain, and 2 3/4" returns on the bottom of the tank (with a check valve of course, which will be replaced and cleaned periodically!) The drain will be a herby system, one will be full siphon, the other will catch the rest.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for anyone planning this same tank, the glass dimensions are: 1-24"X24", 2- 24"X14.75", 2- 23.5"X14.75", 1- 7.5"X13.5", 2-3.5"X13.5", all 1/4" thick. I will be drilling these myself, I just need to buy the bit for the 1" bulk heads, and I'm good to go. I will let you know the final cost from glass cages.com!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back