Reef Breeders photon24 over a 36.5” tank?

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I upgraded my tank several months ago to a 36.5” tank. I bought radions for the lights and ended up selling them because I didn’t like the blue highlighter look. I also purchased two 32” AliExpress popular grow bars. Would the 24” photon and the two AliExpress bars be enough to light the tank for SPS in the future.. or is PAR testing the only definitive way to for me to get an answer. I’ve seen online par testing and it shows the drop off over the edge of the actual fixture but I haven’t seen any the test past where it ends - ie to the sides where it is not directly over. I’m thinking my best bet is LPS on the edges and SPS on the inner 18” or so.

Last edited:

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not about PAR so much, but I tried a 24” RB over my 36” tank. Light intensity was pretty good, but the drop off at the ends of the tank looked too off / bothered me. I ended up selling the 24” and replacing it with the 32” photon.

To each their own, but that’s where I landed.

OP
OP
djryan2000

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not about PAR so much, but I tried a 24” RB over my 36” tank. Light intensity was pretty good, but the drop off at the ends of the tank looked too off / bothered me. I ended up selling the 24” and replacing it with the 32” photon.

To each their own, but that’s where I landed.
thanks. im on the lookout for a 32" one for the same reason.. the dropoff is visually noticeable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back