Starting Over

cbhance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I had a 5 gallon tank with live rock, sand, two fish, some corals, and a clean up crew.

Long story short, my tank went to complete crap a few months ago when my fan died. I was extremely busy and never ended up getting a new one. Now, the light on the tank has died and the water has been stagnant for 4-5 months. It has evaporated to 50% in the tank and the top of the live rock is exposed.

I’d like to start over. I ordered a new fan and light. Now I’m looking at cleaning the tank and begin cycling it. I also ordered new filter material. What does this look like for me?

Is the live rock still good? Or should I get more live rock? Is the sand still good to use as well?

Should I rinse or clean the live rock? Give the sand a good rinse? Should I remove all of the water from the tank and do a 100% water change?

Thanks for as many steps and details as you all can give me! I really appreciate it!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empty the tank. Clean it with vinegar and a razor blade if glass. Rinse the crap out of the sand. Pressure wash the rocks. Let them soak for a few days in some salt water then rinse them off. that should help rid of all the nutrient and scum build up.,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back