New 50Gal question.

EtxReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2016
Messages
100
Reaction score
75
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my 50 gallon from glass cages, I have been planning to go down from a 75 for some time now. I have live rock coming in next week from tank stop, and will be ordering live sand from glr to come in at the same time.

My question is, I have dinos in my 75, but wanted to use water from there when I switch over to the 50. Is that just a terrible idea? Should I just make 50 clean gallons?
 
Why do you want to use the old water? There is little to no benefit to that, and while using live rock and sand should help to outcompete the Dinoflagellates, they are already a dominant bacteria in your current set-up. Why would you risk giving them a foothold in your new tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new