Reef brite vs SB reef bar

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is measured with just the t5 and one bar on at one time, the other bars are off on the side center inline with each bar
61EDA327-7421-42B0-B6C7-27A6A6EE0CA9.jpeg

BC078A30-FF59-4A2B-AD24-EF26ACAA4D71.jpeg

This is measure right in the center of the tank with one bar on at a time.
F7698A51-4882-4EBF-BE03-4CB73E6712DC.jpeg

This is with t5 and both supplemental bar on. Par is measured On the side center inline with each bar.
E89C5AE3-6273-4D2F-827E-CF130A92936E.jpeg
I hope this will answer some questions regarding the two reef bar brand. One recently new to the market while the other has been used by many reefers.
Before i start my review, i want to put this out there that I am not affiliate with neither of these brand or any marketing purposes. I’m not being paid to do this by them nor i have any negative intention toward their products.

Part test are done from the xho and the sb bar mounted on my 8x54watt ati fixture with 5 blue plus and 3 coral plus. Lights are hang 9” about water level(WL)
I also throw in the reefbrite lumi test for those in the budget.

Reef brite xho
Pro:
solid built structure
Panorama reflector, good light spread
Decent par output
Con:
Price is up there
Limited mounting bracket
Only one type of blue diodes used.

Sb reef bar
Pro:
solid built steucture
Affordable price
Adjustable mounting bracket
Used UV and blue diodes led
Good par output
Con:
Too focus from lenses used
Dimmer box is a bit cheap quality
No light spread if mounting too close

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I picked up a set of Lumi lights to swap out my same wattage DIY strips. It would be interesting to see how much par drop the lumi's have and the depths considering the lesser wattage.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange how the xho is lower par than the others when ran alone, but when combined with t5 all xho par numbers are higher. Nice job!

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any difference to your eyes between the XHO and SBreef?
Bumping this question. On paper the numbers seem close enough to make this a no brainer, but for me it would depend on if the spread looks way better on the reflector design of teh reefbrite vs the lens on the SB bar. I don't really care about the UV diodes on the SB bar because I run true actinic t5 with royal blue LED.

cboltsd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the sharing the info, i run the sbar and never used an xho. I think the value in the sbar speaks for itself at the price point.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this question. On paper the numbers seem close enough to make this a no brainer, but for me it would depend on if the spread looks way better on the reflector design of teh reefbrite vs the lens on the SB bar. I don't really care about the UV diodes on the SB bar because I run true actinic t5 with royal blue LED.
Sorry for some reason it doesnt alert me anymore. To respond to your wuestion and your quote. To the naked eyes, the sb reef bar is pretty dim/dull compare to the reefbrite xho. The sb bar is using focus lense compare to reflector from xho. There is a big difference to the eyes between the two. However, the reefbar using some violet led which has a nice florescent to the corals when taking pictures.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the sharing the info, i run the sbar and never used an xho. I think the value in the sbar speaks for itself at the price point.
Correct, the par is there. Its all on budget and what you’re thriving for. I owned, the sb bar, reef brite tech, xho, and lumi lite. My best choice is the lumi lite for afordable and really bring out the colors under actinic for supplemental lighting.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Strange how the xho is lower par than the others when ran alone, but when combined with t5 all xho par numbers are higher. Nice job!
Yeah the sb bar has higher value if i placed under the lense. Value gets big drop as i move outside the cone. Xho value slighting drop value at a wider range.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this in reference to the sBar Supplemental Actinic Bar Light? And also do you install 2 sets with one on each side of the T5 light fixture? Thank you
Yes, its the blue verson of each. My tank is a peninsula so each were mounted on each side of my t5.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back