Reef Chemistry Calculators and ESV

superusername

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm doing my math wrong, I think there is a disconnect between the ESV 2-part label and the calculations behind Jose's and Marine Depot's calculators:

ESV label says 1ml will raise 1 gallon by 2.07 dKH:
2irp3z4.jpg

(I don't have an image of the actual bottle handy, so snipped the image above from marinedepot.com. It's the identical verbiage on multiple bottles of ESV that I have at home)

The Marine Depot calculator indicates 1ml will raise 1 gallon by 2.24 dKH.
25a86mt.jpg

The JDieck calculator also indicates that 1ml will raise 1 gallon by 2.24 dKH
10f6w07.jpg

On both calculators, I used 10,000 gallons just to add better resolution of the underlying math.

I know our inputs and test results have a lot of error in them already, so this 8% difference might not make a huge difference. But I'm still wondering where the 2.24 came from if not from the ESV label... did ESV change their formulation since the calculators were developed? I'm also surprised both calculators use the same math that differs from ESV unless one was based on the other.

And for best results, would I be better off calculating based on 2.07 or 2.24?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Unless I'm doing my math wrong, I think there is a disconnect between the ESV 2-part label and the calculations behind Jose's and Marine Depot's calculators:

ESV label says 1ml will raise 1 gallon by 2.07 dKH:
2irp3z4.jpg

(I don't have an image of the actual bottle handy, so snipped the image above from marinedepot.com. It's the identical verbiage on multiple bottles of ESV that I have at home)

The Marine Depot calculator indicates 1ml will raise 1 gallon by 2.24 dKH.
25a86mt.jpg

The JDieck calculator also indicates that 1ml will raise 1 gallon by 2.24 dKH
10f6w07.jpg

On both calculators, I used 10,000 gallons just to add better resolution of the underlying math.

I know our inputs and test results have a lot of error in them already, so this 8% difference might not make a huge difference. But I'm still wondering where the 2.24 came from if not from the ESV label... did ESV change their formulation since the calculators were developed? I'm also surprised both calculators use the same math that differs from ESV unless one was based on the other.

And for best results, would I be better off calculating based on 2.07 or 2.24?
I just checked my esv containers, id go off 2.07

Back