Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #238

Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #238

Which of the following ions has the most electrons? If there is a tie for first, list them all. :)

A. K+ (potassium)
B. Na+ (sodium)
C. Ca++ (calcium)
D. Cl- (chloride)

Good luck!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. C. D. Calcium, Potassium, Chlorine.

Also Argon. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

Which of the following ions has the most electrons? If there is a tie for first, list them all. :)

A. K+ (potassium)

C. Ca++ (calcium)
D. Cl- (chloride)

The potassium atom starts with 19 electrons and loses one to make a positive charge, for a total of 18.

The sodium atom starts with 11 electrons and loses one to make a positive charge, for a total of 10.

The calcium atom starts with 20 electrons and loses two to make a double positive charge, for a total of 18.

The chloride atom starts with 17 electrons and gains one to make a negative charge, for a total of 18.

The magic numbers of total electrons for many stable ions is 0, 2, 10, 18, 36, and 54. Those configurations can lead to electron configurations similar to the nearly inert noble gases (helium, neon, argon, krypton, etc.). :)

Happy reefing. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back