Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #301: Refractometers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day 301

Which of the following is a refractometer measuring to determine seawater salinity?

1. Changes in the wavelength of light passing through the sample
2. Changes in the speed of light passing through the sample
3. Changes in the intensity of light passing through the sample
4. Changes in the frequency of light passing through the sample

Good luck!

Previous Reef Chemistry question of the day:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day 301

Which of the following is a refractometer measuring to determine seawater salinity?

Good luck!

Previous Reef Chemistry question of the day:

Using process of elimination, I come up up with #1. But it is a total guess based on what simply sounds right to me.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Number #2.
I actually paid attention during physics and remember well that refraction is the result of the speed of light changing when transitioning from one medium to another.

And I think now is also a good time to point out that the light speed constant c, is the speed of light through a vacuum only. :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it were the angle change that the light were traveling down as it passes through the liquid. I know for sure that it doesn't slow down unless the pH is too low, or unless you are measuring with a swing arm, then it might?

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel it's gotta be 2 because 1 and 4 are two ways of looking at the same thing, and I don't think it has anything to do with intensity. If it weren't for that intensity bit at #3 I would be tempted to say all of the above.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Number #2.
I actually paid attention during physics and remember well that refraction is the result of the speed of light changing when transitioning from one medium to another.

And I think now is also a good time to point out that the light speed constant c, is the speed of light through a vacuum only. :)
since we re talking about the speed of light through mediums..... this always makes me smile

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had seen these before... like the other 300 days.

Change in refractive index=speed of light/speed of light of sw

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is:

What is the Index of Refraction?

The index of refraction (or refractive index) is the ratio of the speed of light traveling through a vacuum to the speed of light in the material being tested. Most aquarists do not realize that when using a refractometer, they are measuring the speed of light through their aquarium’s water, so having such knowledge might be a good way to impress friends with your technical abilities!

Light travels through most materials more slowly than it does through a vacuum, so their refractive index is higher than 1.00000. The detailed mathematics and physics behind refractive index are actually quite complicated, because it is often a complex number with real and imaginary parts, but a simple version is adequate for all purposes that a reef aquarist would encounter. Some materials slow light traveling through them more than others, and slower light travel leads to a higher refractive index. Table 1 shows some typical refractive index values for comparative purposes.

In solutions of two compounds, such as ethyl alcohol in water, sugar in water or salt in water, the refractive index changes in step with how much of each component is present. Scientists have long known this to be true, and refractometers have a long history of use in brewing, sugar refining, analyzing blood and urine protein and many other industries where a quick measure of refractive index can lead to a good assessment of what is present.

Refractive index generally cannot reveal the identity of compounds in water, but when an aquarist knows roughly what material is there he can determine how much of it is there (within the refractive index’s detection capability). Changes in refractive index are not suitable for determining trace levels of ions (such as the purity of freshwater coming out of an RO/DI (reverse osmosis/deionization) purification system), but it can do a good job when significant amounts of a known material are present.

For example, refractive index cannot determine whether a salt in water is potassium sulfate, sodium chloride, magnesium nitrate or calcium bromide, but if you know which of these you have by some other means (such as the name on a chemical’s bottle), then you can determine how much is present in solution by measuring the refractive index, and then looking it up in a table that relates the refractive index to the concentration of that material.

Refractive Index and Salinity

Aquarists can use the effects that added salts have on the refractive index of a water solution to determine the salinity of reef aquarium water. As the salinity of seawater rises, the amount of salt added rises, so the refractive index rises. Figure 1 plots seawater’s refractive index vs. its salinity. Figure 2 shows a similar plot of seawater’s refractive index vs. specific gravity. These data are also summarized in Table 1. These sets of data demonstrate how aquarists can use refractive index to measure salinity and specific gravity, assuming they have a refractometer that can read in the appropriate refractive index range.

1712860685398.png

Figure 1. A plot of the relationship between the refractive index and the salinity of seawater.

1712860713688.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back