Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #251 Ways to Measure Salinity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #251

The salinity of seawater can be determined by measuring a wide range of properties. From a table of how these properties change with salinity, the salinity can be determined.

Which of the following possible ways to measure salinity cannot work?

List all that you think cannot work

A. Electrical conductivity at a particular AC frequency
B. Speed of sound at a particular frequency
C. Speed of yellow light
D. Absorption of yellow light
E. Density at 30 degrees C
F. Boiling point at 1 atmosphere pressure
G. Freezing point
H. Viscosity at 30 degrees C

Good luck!

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess A and C. A since a conductivity meter would also measure other ions present in the water and C since I'm assuming the speed of light is constant.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There *may* be other methods in the list that CANNOT work, but I'm certain that "D. Absorption of yellow light" is one method that simply cannot work to measure salinity. I want to add that C is a sneaky one Randy put in the list, but I use that method quite regularly myself to measure salinity, and I'm certain that others reading this do, too. ;)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A? (because AC current is mentioned; not sure if that works.) Perhaps D although not sure if that's impossible or just too insensitive to be practical.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add that C is a sneaky one Randy put in the list, but I use that method quite regularly myself to measure salinity, and I'm certain that others reading this do, too. ;)

lol

Quite. :D

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D, cuz if you can measure the speed of yellow light, then how could you measure it if it's also being absorbed? Readings would be skewed. {I think}

Actually, that's not impossible. At risk of giving away answers, or getting too nerdy (very likely :D) , the speed of light is part of what goes into refractive index. It is the "real" part of the refractive index. While refractometers do not measure it, there is an "imaginary" part of the refractive index, which is the absorption. Literally, by imaginary, I mean the square root of negative one (i).

Here's wikipedia's discussion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

Complex refractive index

When light passes through a medium, some part of it will always be attenuated. This can be conveniently taken into account by defining a complex refractive index,

n = n + ik

Here, the real part n is the refractive index and indicates the phase velocity, while the imaginary part κ is called the extinction coefficient — although κ can also refer to the mass attenuation coefficient[28]:3 and indicates the amount of attenuation when the electromagnetic wave propagates through the material.[1]:128

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that's not impossible. At risk of giving away answers, or getting too nerdy (very likely :D) , the speed of light is part of what goes into refractive index. It is the "real" part of the refractive index. While refractometers do not measure it, there is an "imaginary" part of the refractive index, which is the absorption. Literally, by imaginary, I mean the square root of negative one (i).

Here's wikipedia's discussion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

Complex refractive index

When light passes through a medium, some part of it will always be attenuated. This can be conveniently taken into account by defining a complex refractive index,

n = n + ik

Here, the real part n is the refractive index and indicates the phase velocity, while the imaginary part κ is called the extinction coefficient — although κ can also refer to the mass attenuation coefficient[28]:3 and indicates the amount of attenuation when the electromagnetic wave propagates through the material.[1]:128
I imagine that this contradicts me, then.

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say you could use all of those to test for salinity. They all seem like physical properties of water that are directly effected by salinity from what I can tell.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know but id love to measure salinity with the speed of sound! Probably more prone to error though than light?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know but id love to measure salinity with the speed of sound! Probably more prone to error though than light?
I noticed that a range of accuracy is not specified

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several ultrasonic and laser switches with feedback, they may show differences but not to the degree I would trust for a reef tank. I could send to someone that knows how to support

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back