OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason it evaporates faster is, as folks have noted, an effect of Raoult's law which relates to the vapor pressure (and hence evaporation rate) of mixtures. Seawater deviates from Raoult's law since it is not an ideal mixture, but not enough to alter the direction of the effect.

Here's another rundown of Raoult's law, but in general, it says that in a mixture, the vapor pressure is directly determined by the vapor pressure that component (here, water) would have if pure, times the mole fraction of the component in the mixture (i.e., the fraction of water in the mixture)). The mole fraction of water in seawater is less than in freshwater (where it is 1.0000), so the vapor pressure is less and evaporation is slower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoult's_law

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I believe you and I gave the same response to the question. (Or was my response too long to read :) ). It was a fun and good question that you asked.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I believe you and I gave the same response to the question. (Or was my response too long to read :) ). It was a fun and good question that you asked.

I always give my answer, regardless of what else is presented. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back