Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #261 DIY Heat Pack

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #261

A recent thread discussed DIY heat packs to keep a tank warm during a power failure.

Which of the following chemicals would make the worst DIY heat pack by mixing it with fresh water in a reef safe container?

A. Magnesium hydroxide
B. Magnesium chloride
C. Magnesium sulfate
D. Magnesium nitrate
E. Magnesium bromide
F. Magnesium iodide

There are actually two reason why the correct choice is unsuitable. Bonus points for knowing both reasons. The reasons have nothing to do with toxicity or damage to the container.

The chemicals are exactly as written, with no additional hydrating water molecules.

Good luck!

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over four hours later and not one taker? Answer is A. Magnesium hydroxide, because: (1) It is quite sparingly soluble in water, and (2) Its enthalpy of solution is quite low.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go F Mag Iodide it has the highest enthalpy of solution I could find (I found -178 in Perrys interestingly I couldn't find Mg(OH)2 in there)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go F Mag Iodide it has the highest enthalpy of solution I could find (I found -178 in Perrys interestingly I couldn't find Mg(OH)2 in there)

"would make the worst DIY heat pack"

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops. Thanks for the dope slap, reading the problem the whole way through is always what gets me.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...

Which of the following chemicals would make the worst DIY heat pack by mixing it with fresh water in a reef safe container?

A. Magnesium hydroxide
B. Magnesium chloride
C. Magnesium sulfate
D. Magnesium nitrate
E. Magnesium bromide
F. Magnesium iodide

Except for A, all of these are quite soluble (meaning a lot dissolves in fresh water, typically hundreds of grams per liter) and each gives off a lot of heat per amount that dissolves.

It turns out that magnesium hydroxide is not soluble at all (wikipedia lists it as 0.0064 g/L at 25 °C) and it actually takes up a little heat (gets cold) when it does dissolve. As an aside, this value is why you cannot put much magnesium in limewater/kalkwasser: it just precipitates out as magnesium hydroxide.

Here's a typical set of data. The more negative the enthalpy of dissolution is, the hotter it gets when dissolving. Positive values means it actually gets colder.

https://chem.libretexts.org/LibreTe...hemistry/Chapter_9.05:_Enthalpies_of_Solution

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back