Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #276 Evaporation of Organic Carbon Dosing Products

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a new chemistry question of the day. :)

Working late one evening, you accidentally left your DIY organic carbon dosing solution uncovered. Note: you live in Arizona and the air is very dry.

By the time you discovered it, some had evaporated.

It initially contained a mixture of 150 mL of vodka (providing ethanol) and 750 mL of vinegar (providing acetic acid).

Compared to the initial mixture, the concentrations of the organics in the remaining solution is most likely to be:

1. Higher in ethanol and higher in acetic acid
2. Higher in ethanol and unchanged in acetic acid
3. Higher in ethanol and lower in acetic acid
4. Unchanged in ethanol and higher in acetic acid
5. Unchanged in ethanol and in acetic acid
6. Unchanged in ethanol and lower in acetic acid
7. Lower in ethanol and higher in acetic acid
8. Lower in ethanol and unchanged in acetic acid
9. Lower in ethanol and in acetic acid

Good luck!

Previous question of the day:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Google i pick Number one...only water evaporates and leaves every other substance more concentrated..? Thats a tuff one with so many multiple choice! ;)

Wait I've also thought I heard one time that moonshine left with the lid off will get water inside and lower the proof..

I'm probably off completely, but I love the question, I can't wait to see the answer later!

Thanks randy, lay down some knowledge on us!

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower in acetic acid and ethanol. How do I know? Because I extracted the ethanol and drank it trying to solve this problem, and in running out of vinegar while dosing my tank ticked off my wife enough that I had to find a replacement somewhere for cooking! :) Come to think of it, I'm not feeling too good...................
(But before I passed out I guessed that both would be lower in concentration, which takes a little bit of digging to come to that conclusion, possibly counterintuitive to our usual understanding of other dissolved substances, i.e. salt, which would increase in concentration).

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the lower ethanol higher acid. Funny as I was getting to the very bottom of bottle my nitrates all of a sudden started rising. Are there certain bacteria that likes one over another Randy? As I am thinking this may have happened.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9. lower ethanol and lower acetic acid as they both evaporate faster than water.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job, folks, many people got this one.

And the answer is...

Compared to the initial mixture, the concentrations of the organics in the remaining solution is most likely to be:

While it is not always a perfect way to determine the answer, in this case, simply looking at the relative boiling points tells us the relative order of vapor pressure at a given temp, and hence the relative rates of evaporation.

The boiling points are:

Ethanol: 78 C or 173 F
Water: 100 C or 212 F
Acetic Acid: 118 C or 245 F

Thus, when the lid is open, ethanol is coming off faster than water which is coming off faster than acetic acid.

Consequently, the concentration of ethanol is lowering and the concentration of acetic acid is rising relative to the total volume (or relative to the water).

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the answer is...

While it is not always a perfect way to determine the answer, in this case, simply looking at the relative boiling points tells us the relative order of vapor pressure at a given temp, and hence the relative rates of evaporation.

The boiling points are:

Thus, when the lid is open, ethanol is coming off faster than water which is coming off faster than acetic acid.

Consequently, the concentration of ethanol is lowering and the concentration of acetic acid is rising relative to the total volume (or relative to the water).
Randy thanks so much! I posted a question in my answer but probably didn't see it. I am at the bottom of one of my bottles and notices the nitrates rising again, do certain bacteria feed off each (ethonol and acid) ? wondering if the evaporation caused the nopx working less effectively because the mixture changed?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the answer is...

The boiling points are:

Ok I get that, I am not a chemist but my understanding is acetic acid has a mild affinity to hydrogen and at room temp the difference in evaporation of vinegar and water is negligible but long term aetic acid will be higher concentration. Which still makes your statement correct and my answer wrong.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back