Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #287: Sources of Color

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #287

There are many sources of color in reef aquaria, and many questions I could ask about them.

Let's start with a hard one.

Which of the following is not true?

1. The spines of some sea urchins are purple due to the presence of iodine in them.
2. The most common fluorescent chemical in corals is green fluorescent protein (GFP). The critical part of the GFP molecule for fluorescence contains cobalt.
3. Percula clownfish (A. percula) will become more orange/red if fed a diet containing the natural pigment astaxanthin found in shrimp.
4. Most photosynthetic organisms use chlorophyll to absorb light. Chlorophyll contains a magnesium ion in its core.

Pick all that you think are WRONG.

Good luck!

Previous Reef Chemistry Question of the Day:

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is:

1. The spines of some sea urchins are purple due to the presence of iodine in them.
2. The most common fluorescent chemical in corals is green fluorescent protein (GFP). The critical part of the GFP molecule for fluorescence contains cobalt.
3. Percula clownfish (A. percula) will become more orange/red if fed a diet containing the natural pigment astaxanthin found in shrimp.
4. Most photosynthetic organisms use chlorophyll to absorb light. Chlorophyll contains a magnesium ion in its core.

Answers 1 and 2 are wrong.

1. While I2 is purple, it is not the color forming agent in sea urchins. Sea urchin spines are mostly calcium carbonate, and the color generally comes from various organic chromophores in them. This article has a lot more discussion of that topic:

Sea Urchins: A Chemical Perspective by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

2. While GFP and related structures are prevalent in corals, the actual chromophore is pure organic and contains no metals.

3. Percula clownfish can color up based on their diet:

4. Magnesium is at the core of chlorophyll. It is a little unexpected from a chemistry perspective since magnesium itself does not absorb light (unlikely many other metal ions).

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is:

Answers 1 and 2 are wrong.

1. While I2 is purple, it is not the color forming agent in sea urchins. Sea urchin spines are mostly calcium carbonate, and the color generally comes from various organic chromophores in them. This article has a lot more discussion of that topic:

Sea Urchins: A Chemical Perspective by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

2. While GFP and related structures are prevalent in corals, the actual chromophore is pure organic and contains no metals.

3. Percula clownfish can color up based on their diet:

4. Magnesium is at the core of chlorophyll. It is a little unexpected from a chemistry perspective since magnesium itself does not absorb light (unlikely many other metal ions).

I was completely wrong :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back