Reef Chemitry Puzzle #5

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,624
Reaction score
96,727
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is…

1. There are more of me than all other elements in a reef tank combined.

What am I?


The key word is element. Compounds such as water are not elements. Individual elements are those shown on the periodic table: hydrogen, helium, lithium, etc.

In a reef tank, hydrogen is by far the most abundant element by number. The “more of me” part of the question implies numbers of the element, not mass of the element. Oxygen would win by mass, dominating water (H2O) and calcium carbonate (CaCO3). But water and organisms are very strongly dominated by hydrogen numbers and it will win out by number in any ordinary reef tank.

Following up on my comment about the dominating element in a turkey, I could not find exact data for a turkey, but the human body is strongly dominated by hydrogen, and I expect a turkey is similar;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body
Thanks for playing and Happy Reefing!
 
And the answer is…

1. There are more of me than all other elements in a reef tank combined.

What am I?


The key word is element. Compounds such as water are not elements. Individual elements are those shown on the periodic table: hydrogen, helium, lithium, etc.

In a reef tank, hydrogen is by far the most abundant element by number. The “more of me” part of the question implies numbers of the element, not mass of the element. Oxygen would win by mass, dominating water (H2O) and calcium carbonate (CaCO3). But water and organisms are very strongly dominated by hydrogen numbers and it will win out by number in any ordinary reef tank.

Following up on my comment about the dominating element in a turkey, I could not find exact data for a turkey, but the human body is strongly dominated by hydrogen, and I expect a turkey is similar;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body
Thanks for playing and Happy Reefing!
Dangit! Ill have to take it more literally next time.
 
According to a movie I watched, water is an element......
multi-pass......
1700697893270.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new