OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Fluval but I'm not sure what model it is. I had it on a 20 gallon before.

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a lot more light, you may see a spurt of algae growth. The LED's will benefit you from less heat transfer than the power compacts, no doubt.

Keep the photoperiod lower than normal for a while for acclimation purposes.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. What would you suggest hour wise for running my LED light? Also would taking off the old hood be a bad thing to do with my nano?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. What would you suggest hour wise for running my LED light? Also would taking off the old hood be a bad thing to do with my nano?
I have ran mine without a hood, only issue is if your fish try to jump. You could use some egg crate or make a cover with netting.

Save your hood if you do this. I think those lights probably won't be sufficient in the long run depending on the corals you want to keep.

The biocube has several retrofit led kits available from different companies. You could pull out the existing lights and use one of these kits to keep the stock look, with better lighting.

I have rigged my hood with leds, it's not pretty but for my softy tank, it works.
I will upgrade and improve that set ip at some point.

If you want to keep the hood off, you could get some decent cheap led lights, the sponsor forum is a good place to start researching different brands

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I plan on keeping coral wise in my tank are the easy ones and a few brain corals. I have a few clown fish that like to try to jump out of the tank so I think I might keep my old hood attached and have it resting on the LED lights.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another quick up date guys.
I have been doing 15 gallon water changes for 2 weeks now and I am starting to see all the red alge go away. All the corals have started to come back and look good again.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat thread kick up. Nport might say we chatted quite a bit through pm we did not stop trying on that tank even after posts lessened. I'd like to know an update for sure, I recall the chats though they've long been cleaned out

We took that tank restore darn serious.

The details applicable in our chats were:

This tank was running good preps for the tang. It's feed and tank export was planned and matched for gallonage and water quality and the feeding was quite high quality with good turnover for removal from system. I was sold on unique feeds being met for the setup, and the fishes nitrogen simply added a dynamic of bioloading that made light invader presence not unpredictable.

We acknowledged a given base of reefing will not accept tangs in smaller tanks, for that we had no recourse

But in strict evaluation of ecosystem, nutrients, algae cycling, we got busy and cleaned this rascal out and the invasions never were that bad thereafter

Updates/joy even if it didn't live up till now

Id like to know did the ecosystem perk up due to our efforts, and sustain that, until takedown. It's neat to say if given the same challenge today id do the same.

But now you have option to buy Vibrant :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back