Reef dying

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thats advice lol poor thing is right the kid ob dont kno better juss feel bad for him
Ok cool. Yeah I definitely was not trying to bash at all. Never even had the intention. Sometimes digging out the root causes of our failures sometimes hits soft spots.

OP, to help assist with why your reef is dying - we will need to start with some parameters.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you weren't trying to bash but some guys were so that's why I said something. I really like you advice. Water parameters are you looking for?

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Like I said earlier in the post that will have to wait until I get replacement stuff for my other kit which should be coming in the next few days

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power compacts (the bulbs in your cube) generate a ton of heat. That's primarily why your temps are so high. Problem is, to refit LED's will take some MacGuyver-ing (aka DIY). Temp was another thing I battled with a biocube. Getting it below 80 will also stifle some of the algae growth once parameters are monitored and nutrient export is in check.

For the time being, decreasing your photoperiod will decrease the heat transfer from the lights to the water. Also adding something like a computer fan to the hood of the cube may help.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update:
Tested the water:
Ph read 8.0
Ammonia read 0
Nitrate read 0 as well.
Salinity is 1.023-1.024

Last edited:
OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kit I got only came with those three that I listed.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a cal test kit if that needs to be tested as well.

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are the source of your algae problems. Get a test kit for phosphates. I'd bet you have some in there. Other stuff looks good, though.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kits are you using? If you have the kit you might as well test to get a base reading on calc. It will only be essential to monitor regularly in a heavily stocked stony coral tank though. I do agree to check phosphate lvls when dealing with an algae issue. You are headed in the right direction! Water changes with ro and the proper filter media to deal with phosphates should turn the rank around [emoji6]

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any suggestions on what's a good testing method for phosphates? And I'm using API saltwater testing kit.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check foster and smith site for the bulbs. They are going to be, if not already - discontinued. I had the same problem with my daughters nano. I bought up a 2 year supply of them to buy her time to change out to another tank or led unit.

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API test for Phosphates does not have high enough resolution, do not use the API test for Phosphates. The lowest reading besides zero is 0.25 ppm, but you need a more accurate result than that to be of any use.

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above I said you have a big problem with phosphates, but I am going to say something odd:
Don't bother to test for phosphates!

First, as pointed out, the cheap phosphate kits don't register low enough.
And the ultra-low range one is a pain. I have it, but rarely use it.

Key though: with all that Cyano growing, your phosphate levels IN THE WATER will be really low.
That mass will soak it up quick.
Many people are fooled by that.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above I said you have a big problem with phosphates, but I am going to say something odd:
Don't bother to test for phosphates!

First, as pointed out, the cheap phosphate kits don't register low enough.
And the ultra-low range one is a pain. I have it, but rarely use it.

Key though: with all that Cyano growing, your phosphate levels IN THE WATER will be really low.
That mass will soak it up quick.
Many people are fooled by that.
This.

You just got a ro buddie, IIRC. Use it.

Do big water changes using ro to make fresh salt mix. Do the maximum volume you have capacity to make up at a time.
Match temp and specific gravity (with a refractometer) so you are shocking your fish. I personally would do at several 50% water changes, like once a day for a week. Suck out the cyano as you syphon out water for the water changes. Blow off your rocks, either a turkey baster or powerhead will work, before you start the siphon as well.

Go ahead and order extra filters for the ro buddie as well. I don't think they tend to last very long. A TDS meter can be had for $25, watch that your finished water has a TDS of 0.

Phosphate is probably bound in the rocks, etc. Plan to do aggressive water changes for a bit.

You can get a phosphate tester, but who knows what else is in the tank water since have been using tap. The tank probably has higher levels of "stuff" than is in your tap, since you add more "stuff" every time you top off. Stuff meaning nitrate phosphate metals, all the unwanted things in tap, they don't evaporate, they accumulate with every top off.

IMO, a phosphate test will be handy to have but not a necessity. I think your money would be better spent on salt mix, refractometer, and TDS meter.

If you aren't able to get a handle on things with water changes, then I would worry about testing and using some sort of media to remove phosphates.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so from what I have gathered here you guys are saying no need to test for phosphates correct? I just did a water change of my usal 5 gallons today and sucked out a lot of the red stuff. It's still really thick on my frag rack but for the most part it seems to be gone from the rocks and sand. Everything is look much happier now that I use RO water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back