Reef dying

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's well said, the more brainstorming the more can be revealed. OP is brave to post pics, many of us went through same challenges and didn't post up.

Nothing is cooler than a 1x mo after shot in full glory, a payoff approaches after its all hashed out.

that is a really good point about the light we want to make sure its not been overly intense the entire time

if that specific arrangement has been shown to work on other biocubes and you can maintain the temps never above 80 and 78 ideal it helps to know that as well.

this tank in its current condition is exacerbated by any heat spikes or photointensive areas that may apply.

rygh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinion:
From the picture, it seems pretty clear to me: You almost certainly have a big Phosphate problem.
That red stuff looks like Cyano. It loves high phosphates.
It can destroy corals, as can high phosphates directly.

Short term:
Use an airline hose (small, not a big hose) to siphon Cyano off everything.
Do big water changes.

Long term:
Do we research on Cyano.
Do we research on nutrient export.
Feed less.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer a few of your question I'm not sure what type of light I have. I will take pictures of it and the skimmer setup later tonight and post it. When I do water changes I make all my own water that come from the sink and same with the top off water. I do have a canister on my system. I cleaned the sponges and changed everything out in it the other day.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor tang.

Not to jump on you, but you are very unsure about a lot of things. You said you knew your water parameters are good but then you don't know your current parameters. You use sink water to perform water changes, you have a tang in a small cube which is not only prison for the fish but its probably spiking your NO3 like crazy.

Overall, read read read and research. Sounds like you jumped in way too fast and now its catching up to you. Hope you can listen to the guys in this thread. Usually people never want to be told when they mess up. We will see how this ends up.

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, it appears that you jumped in without doing any research, and stocked the tank before you knew what to do. We're all guilty of that in some way, shape, or form.

Your entire system is out of control, though, and it's because you've started with a TERRIBLE base. NEVER , EVER, EVER use tap water. EVER. Don't do it. Get RO/DI from a local fish store, or invest in a quality RO/DI unit from BRS or something. Think of it like the single most critical building block. A house built out of haystraws will not provide the strength and support that a house made of bricks.

I haven't seen you post your parameters as was suggested at the beginning, and TBH my guess is you really don't know what they are. I'm betting you have nitrates, nitrites, and phosphates out of control. All that algae in there is telltale.

I won't be a "judge" on the tang, but given what little you have shown you know, I'll say this: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Just because you can have a mastiff doesn't mean it's a good idea in a 700 sq ft. apartment in the middle of NYC. :)

Here's what I'd do:
1) stop doing water changes with tap water.
2) Go to a LFS and buy their pre-made saltwater, or buy a RO/DI system for use with water changes and replacement of evaporation.
3) Buy testing kits, test parameters, research what is what (good vs. bad)
4) research. Spend a lot of time here and all over the web researching the basics. Fundamentals!
5) vacuum out as much of that algae as you can. It's like a trap holding those bad things in the tank.
6) Buy a quality refractometer so you can properly measure the salinity. I haven't seen you post up the salinity yet.
7) Temperature: Do you monitor water temp/have any idea what it is? This is important too. Smaller volumes of water are difficult to control everything, especially temp, and it can get out of control fast.

I had a small biocube years ago. Honestly, I never got a good handle on it and constantly fought algae. I just wasn't for all the constant attention it needed. I do much better with water volumes >30gal :)

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick up date: I did get a RO Buddie from my local pet store. If everyone could stop telling me I have no idea what I'm doing that would be great. You guys didn't even begin to let me explain what experience I do have with salt water tanks. I had a 55 gallon setup before this one. This is my first nano setup and I'm still learning about it. You guys can't seriously say you didn't ever go through a learning curve in this hobby. Am I wrong or right on that? Also to be honest it's really not helping me solve my problem I'm having with my tank by having a a few people bash me about how the tank is currently. Sorry for my little rant.
Now to answer some questions: I do know what the temp in my setup is at all times. It usually stays are 80-85. I have done research on why that is happening and I have been told my lights are keeping the water to warm and I need to get LEDS for it which I'm having a really hard time finding right now. My plan going forward here is to use RO water and to take out all my current sand and put new clean sand in the setup. I also plan to do a complete cleaning of all the Rock and coral frags and the tank.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright people enough bashing please.
We are all here to help Each other and give good advice.
OP..
You are taking one of the right steps to help your tank.
One thing that we all need here is your chemistry numbers.
Keep your no3 and your po4 numbers within range. Corals would love that.
Now for lighting with what you have a simple led system will work to help keep that temp around 78.
What salt are you using and what are you using or doing to maintain the big 3

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are learning and getting on the right track now that is what is important. The big issue with Nanos is they are so much less forgiving then large tanks.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea crystal salt. It says it has everything the reef needs in it. As for dosing I don't really do any of it beside iodine. I currently have ran out of some stuff for my testing kit for the chemistry numbers for my tank and have ordered the replacement stuff. That's why I havnt posted anything yet.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naiad- I am finding all that out now. It's a really big change for me anyway to go from a 55 gallon down to a 29 gallon. And twilliard- thank you for the help with keeping the peace in this thread.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what we are about.
We all shouldn't judge a persons tank.
You are doing the right steps.
As stated nano tanks have no room for error. Constant water changes may actually do more harm than good.
When your test kits come in give us some numbers and all of us can better assist in any chemistry issues.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect thanks for answering the questions . Now we can work with it. eBay has par 38 it's a big led bulb I know a lot of people use those, they look cool , cost about 30 bucks and save you a ton of energy . The cyano issue is definitely from the tap water . And the Corals aren't doing well because of the light. Once you fix those two the things should turn around. And take out that tang not because anyone is hating but it'll make your task easier. And it's better for the fish.

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Is there like actual light bulbs that are led that would fit my current light system?
image.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2015-10-07-14-58-19.png
You dont need a new light if you dont have the money , this is a stock biocube, i dun understand why people are bashing you, some people just seem to not understand like every single person has once before in this hobby . Ive had tanks for 16 years nd i still learn day by day ,i understand you have a tang in a 30 gallon witch is a nono trust me ive seen alot worse but if thats how you want it feel free itll just cause problems, all you need is a different way to look at husbantry dude you spend all that money for your tank to look brown when all it takes is an ro unit and saltwater goes along way, you askrd r2r for help and ill tell you if you dont have an ro unit go buy one , go get yourself some gfo and do a couple water changes and you should b all gravy

OP
OP
nport19

nport19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your blind for your nano setup? I'm having a hard time track down the bulbs. I did get myself a RO system. I think I still will take out the sand in my setup though and put some new in it.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor tang.

Not to jump on you, but you are very unsure about a lot of things. You said you knew your water parameters are good but then you don't know your current parameters. You use sink water to perform water changes, you have a tang in a small cube which is not only prison for the fish but its probably spiking your NO3 like crazy.

Overall, read read read and research. Sounds like you jumped in way too fast and now its catching up to you. Hope you can listen to the guys in this thread. Usually people never want to be told when they mess up. We will see how this ends up.

If this is considered "bashing" then good luck. Im out.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah your lights are fine , for what corals you have , just replace the bulbs if they're old because those could cause the red slime if they're old

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back