Reef flux rx questions

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so on labor day I dosed my system with reef flux rx to try and kill off my gha. So far it was worked extremely well. Buy, it’s not 100% gone yet. I removed my chaeto and restarted my skimmer after 3 days. The package said do a water change after 14 days, but on line research has said sometimes gha takes 3-4 weeks to die off completely. Should I wait another 2 weeks, or do I need to redose the tank? Also when is it safe to put the chaeto back in?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell you whether to redose or not because I never use chemicals anymore to rid the tank of gha but as far as when it’s safe to chaeto back in the tank I would wait til you’ve done at least 3-4 water changes equaling at least 75 % of the water and running charcoal . I’ve had bad experiences with chemicals and chaeto in the past . Good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if their recommendation for water changes is based on removing products from the dead algae, or for residual fluconazole, but I expect based on its structure that fluconazole is readily removed by GAC and skimming, and likely other organic export methods. So a water change may not be needed to remove it (and the manufacturer may or may not realize this).

Are you tracking nitrate and phosphate?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fluconazole for gha and byropsis. It usually takes around 6 weeks for me. I do a water change afterward, because the fluconazole kills the algae and releases nitrate and phosphate into the water.

OP
OP
Derrick0580

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am testing regularly. My phosphates bottomed out to zero and my nitrates are below 2. I fed reef roids heavily to get phosphates back up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am testing regularly. My phosphates bottomed out to zero and my nitrates are below 2. I fed reef roids heavily to get phosphates back up.

If you are skimming or using gac, then a water change may not be needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back