Reef help

Jcloer85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a 2 parter question. I am new to saltwater. Tank has been up since September and just now adding coral.
Does Kenyan tree coral help with filtration?
Do I need to run blue lights all the time or white?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wouldn't expect a Kenya Tree (or really any coral) to help with filtration.

Blue and white light will both grow corals just fine as long as they have enough PAR (and a decent spectrum for the white light - if you have a typical reef lighting fixture, the spectrum should be fine). You can do just white, just blue, or both (either together or alternating).

White light shows off fish and invert colors well, and blue light shows off coral fluorescence well; a lot of people like to run both at different points throughout the day, or to run a white light that is heavy on the blue spectrum (white light is actually a combination of different colors [wavelengths] of light, so it typically has blue, red, green, yellow etc.; a heavy blue white light would be a "white" light that has a lot of blue in the mix - again, most reef-oriented lights have this sort of spectrum).

OP
OP
J

Jcloer85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wouldn't expect a Kenya Tree (or really any coral) to help with filtration.

Blue and white light will both grow corals just fine as long as they have enough PAR (and a decent spectrum for the white light - if you have a typical reef lighting fixture, the spectrum should be fine). You can do just white, just blue, or both (either together or alternating).

White light shows off fish and invert colors well, and blue light shows off coral fluorescence well; a lot of people like to run both at different points throughout the day, or to run a white light that is heavy on the blue spectrum (white light is actually a combination of different colors [wavelengths] of light, so it typically has blue, red, green, yellow etc.; a heavy blue white light would be a "white" light that has a lot of blue in the mix - again, most reef-oriented lights have this sort of spectrum).
I have a reef light but groups in in saying that they only need blue to grow and white will not help. I was told that blue light is just for show when it comes to coral.
Also I heard they a regular led light( ones to by at Home Depot and etc stores) will also work but got lot dim them down

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef light but groups in in saying that they only need blue to grow and white will not help. I was told that blue light is just for show when it comes to coral.
Also I heard they a regular led light( ones to by at Home Depot and etc stores) will also work but got lot dim them down
Yeah, a lot of people are unfortunately misled on what is important for corals with lighting and with the white vs blue light thing (to be fair, learning about lighting can be tough because a lot of info out there on lighting is, purposefully or otherwise, misleading/obscured by a bunch of technical terminology that is difficult to learn without help).

Long story short, PAR and spectrum are what really matter for the corals, and both white and blue light work just fine for growing corals. Additionally - despite popular misconceptions otherwise - both also work just fine for growing algae.

Which is better is a loaded question (see the quote below), but any light (reef-oriented, grow light, random lights from Amazon, etc.) with a decent spectrum and PAR output will grow corals (due to the nature of saltwater aquariums the light should also have a decent IP rating, which tells you how dust and water-resistant/proof a light fixture is, but that's important to us, not the corals):
The study below tested Acropora variabilis and Porites lutea harvested from 2-6 m deep at maintained 6 m deep; they compared dark (no light), full-spectrum (the control), and blue light settings at 200 μmol and 400 μmol (they tested full-spectrum at 800 μmol as well, but 400 μmol was the highest they could get the blue); they used a metal halide light with polycarbonate filters to control what spectrum the corals were being exposed to - the corals grew (calcified) fastest under the blue light, but there was more photosynthesis under the full-spectrum (white) light:

"The light to dark calcification ratios of A. variabilis under 400 μmol photons m−2 s−1 of control and blue light were 8.4 and 10.5, respectively; while lower ratios were observed in P. lutea (3.4 and 4.5). In both cases, calcification under blue light exceeds even these of the control"

So, under controlled PAR with metal halides, these shallow water corals grew faster under blue light than white, but but photosynthesis decreased drastically under blue light when compared to white.

To contrast with that, though, another study (using three different species of Acropora - A. tenuis, A. muricata, and A. intermedia at 100 μmol and 200 μmol [low numbers, I know] with LED's) compared different spectrums (the first link below) and found that the inclusion of some red light drastically increased the growth rate (the second link below; the green/yellow spectrum made a little bit of difference, but they didn't add much of it in with any of the three spectrums used; it may have made a bigger difference at higher intensities):
The actual study:

Another contrasting study - Stylophora pistillata from shallow (3 m) and deep (40 m) waters; the shallow specimens showed the highest photosynthesis rates under full-spectrum lighting, but the deepwater specimens showed the highest photosynthesis rates under blue lighting (sadly, they didn't measure growth rates, and the study only took place between March and April, so it was rather short, and results may have changed if the study had been longer).

So, does blue light grow Acropora or other SPS faster than full-spectrum (white) light? It depends on the coral (both species and individual specimen), the location and depth/temperature the coral is from, what light the corals are photo-acclimated to (a shallow water coral growing under blue light in a hobbyist tank for 5 years is likely going to be acclimated to blue light despite its origins), year-round weather conditions (storms and such play a big role in determining what light is reaching the water), the clade of zooxanthellae they're using, etc.

Does the kind of light used (metal halide vs t5 vs LED, etc.) make a difference, or is it all in the spectrum, intensity, and photoperiod? I don't think we'll be able to answer this unless someone is able to make LED's with the exact same spectrum as those other types of lighting, but I'd guess any differences would be minimal.

So, lots of different things go into the growth, and again, fast growth doesn't necessarily equate to excellent health/coloration (it might, but it also might not). Does each coral species have it's own optimal spectrum for growth/health/color? Probably, but I doubt it would perfectly match a different species own optimal spectrum, so I don't know that it would much matter in our tanks - instead, we'd need to find the optimal spectrum for a broad range of corals, which may not be optimal for any particular coral we keep:

"Zooxanthellate corals display contrasting photoacclimation responses, coral cover, colony morphologies and genetic richness along depth gradients33,49,50,51,52,53,54, which collectively suggest that coral species occupy different light niches."

Personally, I'd expect to see similar (not the same, but similar) growth rates from a lot of corals under both blue and full-spectrum lights; some will likely do better under one than the other, but determining which is a lot of effort.

For that reason, like I've said before, at this point in time (barring a major, undeniable scientific breakthrough with our knowledge of corals and light), I would personally only suggest running the windex blue tanks if you really want to see the coral fluorescence pop (as mentioned by others, though, the colors may be best in the long run if you run different spectrums than just blue throughout the day). Like many others have mentioned in various forms by this point, I'd personally run a full-spectrum (white) light that leans somewhat more toward the blue side of things. Is that the "best" spectrum? Maybe, maybe not, but it seems like a good, safe place to start from.
All of that to say, for the simplest course of action, I'd suggest picking which color you like the look of (white or blue) and running that color during the times you'll typically see the tank.

A lot of people like to have a ramp up at the start of the day and a ramp down at the end of the day with just blue lights on, and they'll run white lights during the rest of the day in between - this is probably a good idea/compromise.

OP
OP
J

Jcloer85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a lot of people are unfortunately misled on what is important for corals with lighting and with the white vs blue light thing (to be fair, learning about lighting can be tough because a lot of info out there on lighting is, purposefully or otherwise, misleading/obscured by a bunch of technical terminology that is difficult to learn without help).

Long story short, PAR and spectrum are what really matter for the corals, and both white and blue light work just fine for growing corals. Additionally - despite popular misconceptions otherwise - both also work just fine for growing algae.

Which is better is a loaded question (see the quote below), but any light (reef-oriented, grow light, random lights from Amazon, etc.) with a decent spectrum and PAR output will grow corals (due to the nature of saltwater aquariums the light should also have a decent IP rating, which tells you how dust and water-resistant/proof a light fixture is, but that's important to us, not the corals):

All of that to say, for the simplest course of action, I'd suggest picking which color you like the look of (white or blue) and running that color during the times you'll typically see the tank.

A lot of people like to have a ramp up at the start of the day and a ramp down at the end of the day with just blue lights on, and they'll run white lights during the rest of the day in between - this is probably a good idea/compromise.
Thanks for everything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back