Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 MONTH UPDATE:
Half a year has gone by since I set up my tank and boy it has been a ride. I honestly can’t believe it has been set up for 6 months already but I guess they grow up so quickly lol. A lot of things happened last month including the introduction of corals, the removal of my clownfish, and finally reaching 1.026 (previously 1.024). Most of my corals are doing good for the most part. The only coral that is struggling is my Gatorade Zoanthids. Some of the polyps don’t open anymore and some aren’t as brightly colored. I think it just needs some time to recover. There are new polyps starting to form on all of my zoanthids. My pulsing xenia still hasn’t started pulsing yet, but I’m moving it around every now and then to see if it starts to pulse. It needs a low flow area, which are hard to find in my tank. Ever since I hit 1.026, I have started seeing white splotches on my back wall over the green coraline algae which I’m assuming is the beginning of pink coraline algae. I have noticed pink coraline has started to spread on my rocks. I feel like I’m at the tail end of the ugly phase. Only thing algae wise in my tank is cyano in low flow areas on the sand. No serious gha or cyano on the rocks. We will have to see where the next 6 months take us!
1362B996-4EFA-4DFC-9E30-EAF8D7878051.jpeg

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters:
Alk: 7.8 (Red Sea)
Cal: 390 (Red Sea)
NO3: 0 (Salifert)
PO4: 0.12 (Hanna ULR Phosphate)
Salinity: 1.025.5 (Tropic Marin Hydrometer)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This torch has started to open up more, although one head is still kind of stressed, but I see it opening in the next few days. It has been given an ID by the lovely people on this forum. It’s an Indo Ultra green torch

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my Reefing YouTube Channel. I’d appreciate it if you consider watching my videos (very soon to come) and subscribing!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 MONTH UPDATE:
D2D129E3-C919-4B7D-9403-5089AE9552B5.jpeg

A few things have happened this month, but most things have been stated above in the past updates. Tank gets cyano, brown and red, on the sandbed but not the rocks. The Zoanthids have all taken on several more polyps. The Gatorade’s growth rate is explosive and probably doubled in size already. Maybe a little less, but there have been a significant amount of heads forming almost every week. Torch is doing fine. Same as normal. Always stunning. Changed my mind on my fish stocking list. This is still tentative but most of it pretty certain:
Royal gramma (already have), Midas blenny, pink streaked wrasse (very hard to find), and a pair of clownfish……those devils. Update on my pair that I gave back to fish store on consignment, theyre still there. My LFS has gotten to know me really well (I do give them a lot of money….) and they give me updates on them every time I come in. Love those guys! Started my Reefing YouTube channel, Ocean’s Piece, where I’ll create cinematic videos that are relaxing, entertaining, and informative. First video coming this Sunday. Subscribe if you haven’t. Link is above^^^
Hanna Nitrate HR Checker from the contest just shipped and I’ll be providing updates.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my checker in the mail. First use was great. Confirmed what I knew. 0 Nitrate. My tank is 7 months. Got .08 phosphates. No Dinos. Who knows. May just be the tank maturing and figuring itself out chemically.
7FA634E8-36B1-4C17-BF00-54E6E916539E.jpeg

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add this yesterday. I went to the fish store and picked up some stuff
I picked up a Midas Blenny, a conch, and another frag of actual pulsing xenia. My other xenia didn’t pulse and I told the fish store and they gave me a small frag of some pulsing xenia for free. It was very small and hasn’t started pulsing but I expected that. It was just fragged for me yesterday and probably went under shipping stress, gluing stress, lighting stress, among various other things. There aren’t even large stalks on it. It may be retracted but who knows. Took out all the old xenia and threw it away oop.
Anyways here’s my stuff
DA682762-644D-4584-93EC-49755F54DC75.jpeg

3725564E-F0BF-463B-ABB4-B128DB887619.jpeg

He’s very skittish right now. Him and the gramma are having territorial issues right now. He hasn’t eaten yet but I have seen signs of interest. I hope they’ll do well together. I also hope that he doesn’t get too large for this tank. Midas’ are good for 30 gallons plus but also like a lot of swimming room so I’m unsure
3B317DA2-FCA6-4A44-AC0E-7ED56CD63793.jpeg

Sold to me as a Fighting Tiger Conch, so I’ll have to clarify if it’s a fighting conch or tiger conch. I think it’s a Tiger conch though
0CA40231-B94A-49D8-9750-727B78AF405F.jpeg

Super small frag of Pulsing Xenia.
Tank is really maturing ! Love your scape , opens up caves and flow
The Gramma looks happy cruising thru the scape too,
Thanks! Gramma seems to like everything in this tank….except for his new roommate

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Midas looks like it found a nook to call home !
He has, but the gramma also likes that spot too. It’s underneath that rock that has like a channel between the two rocks. It’s a nice visible hiding space at both sides of the exit of the channels.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh..our firefish has a channel between rocks it prefers to hide in. I moved a few rocks to clean friday and noticed we hadn't seen him yet..just picked up the rock and zoom he came hauling out .

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my new video. This week, I’ll be adding a new fish to my tank as well as an invert and a coral. I hope you enjoy this video. Make sure to check out my other videos while you’re at it and subscribe for you don’t miss out when I upload

More information on the future of updates to this build thread. I’ll only be updating this thread with videos, with the exception of a few things. Everything that I usually cover here is now in the videos, so it would be redundant to list it here, and I also want y’all to watch my content.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back