*** Reef Legends Giveaway!! 6 WINNERS!! $1100+ in PRIZES!! ***

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefLegends thank you so much!!! There is so much for me and my nano tanks1 I think I might get a mandarin now.
IMG_3049.jpg

Last edited:

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1000014474.jpg

Just got my package! Everything looks great, super grateful @ReefLegends thanks so much!
Hungry The Rev GIF by USA Network
Those two bottles look clear. It's amazing how much phytoplankton pods can consume over a couple of days and being cold. Glad everything arrived well!

Vikora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a possible hard to answer question. Roughly how many pods would you say are in a 16oz bottle.. hahaha

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have a possible hard to answer question. Roughly how many pods would you say are in a 16oz bottle.. hahaha
He answered this question previously, let me see if I can find it.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the input, pod counts vary per week. If you go to our instagram you can see pod bottles that are packed for the week. I've ordered several sizes and pod counts from various vendors who put numbers on bottles and none of them are accurate. For any company that puts those numbers on the bottle and cannot provide the data on how they count per bottle, this can lead to a lawsuit. On the 16 ounce bottles there are "thousands of pods" which you can see in each bottle.

This was a topic at Reefstock, this is why I also bring a flashlight, each pod bottle is about even in pod numbers. While at Reefstock our Apocyclops pod bottles were bottled on Wednesday and by Sunday you could see all the Nauplii in each bottle. I had to explain that this is not how each bottle will look as only adults 120 micron size and above are harvested. I also showed off our Rotifer bottles and density, those are counted each week and are pretty reliable. If you are buying pods and cannot see x number in a bottle you are buying water. Also if your buying a mix bottle of pods with Apocyclops their metabolism is higher, if they go 4-6 days without food, when you add them to your system they are going to die before reproducing. I know this will cause some uproar with other companies, the same applies to any bottle with rotifers, if they aren't packed in phytoplankton, when you get them in 2-4 days, the die off will be high and the amount that survive will be minimal to none.

With this said, I have ordered from Reef Nutrition multiple times, they claim x number of rotifers per bag and they provide x amount over. I'll tell you that the million bag gives you more than a million and the 5 million will give you 6-6.5 million per bag. The 1 million bag is a better deal than the 5 million bag and I address those findings with Chad at Reefstock. Also out of all the Apocyclops test orders, Reef Nutrition had the highest success rate and the salinity in the bottles was at 30ppt and while that number my change slightly, Reef Nutrition provides true numbers on every product i've done a test on.

All of our pods/rotifers are bottled with live phytoplankton for a road trip snack all of our pods are grown in clean sterile instant ocean salt water. Each pod is grown between 33-35 ppt and adapt well to your reef aquarium. While salt is expensive, the pods you are buying are expensive, growing and bottling at the correct salinity shouldn't be big of an expense overall. Each pod strain has their own harvesting equipment and harvested at different times of the week to avoid contamination. Our Tisbe pods have a hybrid pod in there. There is a new tisbe culture that will switch over all our cultures that is a clean tisbe pod culture.

I won't list other vendors I've ordered from and checked their bottles and pod counts, I don't feel bashing a company publicly or calling out a company does anything to benefit the hobby. If you see that I order from your company there is another order coming to another person to double check the order.

This is more information than you're looking for about pod numbers. I am only a novice and continue to learn and invest into more equipment. I don't hide what our pod bottles look like or cater to our pod bottles that we display at a show. I will usually update pod bottles on a weekly on social media so you can see what you are getting. On my thread on R2R you can find the instagram insert link to our pod bottles.

Brine shrimp are always growing there are a few people that buy all the juvies to adults per week. We use Brineshrimpdirect E-Z shell to hatch all of our brine shrimp daily. If you'd like brineshrimp please reach out, they will be grown and harvested for you when you need them.
Someone asked how many pods are in a bottle. There are new clips coming today. Here is a 32 ounce 2 pod blend heading out to a customer and this week the 2 pod blend bottles are loaded. The Apo gods have blessed the tanks IMG_6971.jpeg IMG_6972.jpeg
Here it is!

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pod bottles vary each week. Putting a number is hard. You'll get the most life per ounce with an Ocean delight bottle solely because they rotifers and brine shrimp in there.

Ive purchased pod bottles that had x number in them and that number was in the thousands and when I got the bottle and did a count there was 38 pods in that bottle. When I reached out to the vendor, they said they count all stages of life, when I mentioned sieves and a microscope with a counting slide, I didn't get a response back.

A 16 ounce pod bottle will have over a thousand pods in a bottle. Usually 4 gallons of pod culture is harvested and condensed down to 1 gallon of water, then dispensed to bottles. For an example and 8 ounce pod bottle has 4-5 ounces of pod water and topped with 2-3 ounce of phytoplankton, 16 ounce bottles have 11-12 ounces of pod water and topped with 3-5 ounces of phytoplankton. You'll end up getting 3 times the pods in a 16 ounce pod bottle than an 8 ounce bottle. Tigriopus are the hardest to bottle as they cling to everything and the amount can very the most.

With all of this said on our instagram page you can find real bottles of pods we send out. If you don't feel like you received a bottle that looks like we post on social media, reach out and a new bottle will be sent out at no cost. Bottles posted to social media are the weekly average and what you should expect to see when you get your order.

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here it is!
Last weeks 2 pod bottles had 30% more than usual. Our Apocyclops pods had a massive bloom and while I could've made more bottles that week, our inventory is based off our the normal production. Bottles sell out and people are told to wait a following week.

The last 4 weeks maybe 5 weeks everything has been sold out basically. This week after fulfilling all wholesale orders I had 1 32 ounce bottle of phytoblend left. All pods were sent out for the week.

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you attend the CFM's in Phoenix? There is one coming up in May.
Yes. I am planning on going there this time. I heard of them but luckily someone on the forum I forgot who but they told me about it. At work rn so I can’t browse to thank them lol

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pod bottles vary each week. Putting a number is hard. You'll get the most life per ounce with an Ocean delight bottle solely because they rotifers and brine shrimp in there.

Ive purchased pod bottles that had x number in them and that number was in the thousands and when I got the bottle and did a count there was 38 pods in that bottle. When I reached out to the vendor, they said they count all stages of life, when I mentioned sieves and a microscope with a counting slide, I didn't get a response back.

A 16 ounce pod bottle will have over a thousand pods in a bottle. Usually 4 gallons of pod culture is harvested and condensed down to 1 gallon of water, then dispensed to bottles. For an example and 8 ounce pod bottle has 4-5 ounces of pod water and topped with 2-3 ounce of phytoplankton, 16 ounce bottles have 11-12 ounces of pod water and topped with 3-5 ounces of phytoplankton. You'll end up getting 3 times the pods in a 16 ounce pod bottle than an 8 ounce bottle. Tigriopus are the hardest to bottle as they cling to everything and the amount can very the most.

With all of this said on our instagram page you can find real bottles of pods we send out. If you don't feel like you received a bottle that looks like we post on social media, reach out and a new bottle will be sent out at no cost. Bottles posted to social media are the weekly average and what you should expect to see when you get your order.
I would trust these bottles. I got my shipment and it’s a nice green color of the phyto and there’s so much. Easily can seed any tank. Or at least mine. I used half the bottle and I’m gonna try to culture some until I can get my second tank up and running. Im hoping I can pick up a stand or cabinet within the next week

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back