Reef lobsters

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for reef safe inverts that wouldn’t be eaten by my radiata lionfish in a 75g tank. I came across the reef lobsters and noticed there are some species that only get about 5”. Has anyone here kept one? I don’t know if a 75g is big enough. The lion is the only fish. Not looking for it to necessarily be a good cuc member, just something interesting.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp are like lobsters, very closely related. Never had mine harm a coral. Also very cryptic. Will kill other shrimp.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp are like lobsters, very closely related. Never had mine harm a coral. Also very cryptic. Will kill other shrimp.

Do you think one would be less cryptic in a 75 with one fish? It’s kind of dead, the lion just perches all day and the only other inverts are hermits and snails. I considered a coral banded shrimp but didn’t want to risk it with the lion.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple reef lobster in mine. He hides in the rockwork all of the time but sometimes comes out if I feed when the lights are low in the evening. I had a dwarf fuzzy in with him before the lion decided to try flying :( The lobster doesn't seem to bother anything and the other fish including the lion completely ignore him. My coral banded seems to be fine as well. The fuzzy never gave it a second look, but when I got the lion initially both the lobster and the coral banded were bigger than him so that might have something to do with him never considering them food when he got bigger.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple reef lobster in mine. He hides in the rockwork all of the time but sometimes comes out if I feed when the lights are low in the evening. I had a dwarf fuzzy in with him before the lion decided to try flying :( The lobster doesn't seem to bother anything and the other fish including the lion completely ignore him. My coral banded seems to be fine as well. The fuzzy never gave it a second look, but when I got the lion initially both the lobster and the coral banded were bigger than him so that might have something to do with him never considering them food when he got bigger.

I don’t really mind if it hides, I’ve got a couple caves and a 3” sand bed. I would try a coral banded but I feed the lion live ghost shrimp so I’m pretty sure he’d eat it once he’s big enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back