Reef octo 150ss skimmer

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recieved my new skimmer today, all set up working fine apart from a horrendous humming sound coming from the airline tube. It has a cap on op with a little hole (labeld silencer) but it definitely doesn't do the job. If I place my finger over the hole the noise goes away but I'm guessing the hole needs to be clear?

If anyone has the same skimmer or has an idea what I can do to stop the noise it would be a great help

Also I would add it's not so much of a space saver as its meant to be, takes up the biggest compartment of my sump!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked mine into a CO2 scrubber and it’s dead silent now.

statru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you played around with the ****e rubber hose that runs into that pipe? I found by gently pushing or pulling (sliding it in or out) on it that it made a considerable amount of difference. Make small adjustments at a time. You’ll get it dialed in. The problem I had was not being able to get the skimmer high enough off the floor of my sump in order to keep the skimmer from over flowing without having to lower the water level in the sump. I devised a plastic stand for it and it did the trick.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 space saver and I think you just push the white air tube through the red standpipe. I don't think you are supposed to connect it to the white cap over the standpipe. Try disconnecting it from the cap and leave the hose just chilling in the standpipe. Only thing I hear is the sound of the bubbles bubbling

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110 space saver and no noise. As for size the space saver part is that the pump is in the body of the skimmer and not external like a lot of skimmers. If you think the 6" body is too big for your sump the 110 has a 4" body so it's substantially snaller

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s started to quiet down a lot now, Can still notice it but not nearly a small bad. The only noise is from the hole on the plastic cap which airline attaches to. I’ll give it a go removing the cap to see if it makes any difference

I did have it raised on a plastic container but took it off thinking that was possibly the cause of the noise. Taking it off didn’t make any difference In performance of the skimmer so just my left it sitting on bottom of sump. Running well and removing gunk

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back