Reef Octo Classic 110sss

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a new tank with the Reef Octo Classic 110sss and the it seems really loud - does anybody else have this skimmer and find it loud or can anyone offer advice on how I might be able to make it quieter?

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is very quiet, however, if a piece of chaeto gets into the intake side it gets loud. Make sure the intake is clean

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics/video of the skimmer.

The water level in your sump may have to come up or it could be a bad pump.

Video would be a huge help.

OP
OP
M

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics/video of the skimmer.

The water level in your sump may have to come up or it could be a bad pump.

Video would be a huge help.
Good point!

I can hear it in every room in my house, it’s driving me crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_0281.MOV
    21.3 MB

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point!

I can hear it in every room in my house, it’s driving me crazy!

Sorry to say that I was unable to view the video in Firefox or Safari. It's probably my security settings. So on with a few questions after consulting the manual:

1. Is the silencer installed? There is a red tube which rotates clockwise/counterclockwise. The cap that sits on top and has two pinholes... thats the silencer.

2. The recommended water level depth in its chamber is 7-8 inches.

You can also remove the pump and run It in a bucket of water to see if it is loud. If it is, I would guess it is the pump. If not, then the skimmer may beed a grid cleaning.

OP
OP
M

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your suggestions! The silencer is installed and the water depth is approximately 8 inches. Ordered a small stand to try and get it in the middle and see if that helps.

I did take it apart and cleaned it and it seemed slightly quieter for a short while but I think it’s just as loud once again now!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your suggestions! The silencer is installed and the water depth is approximately 8 inches. Ordered a small stand to try and get it in the middle and see if that helps.

I did take it apart and cleaned it and it seemed slightly quieter for a short while but I think it’s just as loud once again now!

Well... good luck...

You can us anything to raise and lower it in the water. I use a 4" PVC coupler. It's starting to feel like the motor may be failing.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
M

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... good luck...

You can us anything to raise and lower it in the water. I use a 4" PVC coupler. It's starting to feel like the motor may be failing.

Keep us posted.
I did have a suspicion it may be a failing motor but is that likely given it’s a new skimmer?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a suspicion it may be a failing motor but is that likely given it’s a new skimmer?

Well... skimmers do require a 2-4 week break in period. So if it is very new, it may quiet down once it has broken in.

And yes, it could be a bad motor out of the box. Sometimes new doesn't = working.

Back