Reef octopus 1000HOB skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter cjcosta23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cjcosta23

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just bought this skimmer today. I'm having 2 issues.
The 1st and most important is no matter how high up I set the catch tank, it's overflowing. This is weird to me as I watched the video and set it up exactly as the Coralvue guy did
The 2nd is that I think there is too much airflow which is sending micro bubbles into the return. I tried the adjustable on the venturi line and it was the same only a little smaller size of bubble. No real difference from just using the silencer.
I really don't want to put that instant ocean one back up as it's so loud, although it did collect pretty well
 
It takes a few days for a new skimmer to break in. I'm not very familiar with your skimmer, but one thing you could try is to pinch the venturi hose near the top of the skimmer so that no air is sucked in. Try that and see if it still overflows. If it doesn't overflow, just let it run with the hose pinched for a couple days until it breaks in, and then un-pinch the hose to run like normal. After it breaks in the micro bubbles will start to go away too.
 
Thanks. I knew there was a break in period. I plugged the hose to expell the air and it didn't overflow
 
I ran this skimmer for 2yrs. Took mine 2wks to fully break in. Water level must be consistent. Micro bubbles never go away, hence the need for supplied sponges. Intake tube needed to be cut in order to surface skim. Must be primed EVERY time skimmer is turned off. Do this by pinching off air intake for 3-5 seconds at startup.
The more I think about it, the less I enjoyed running this skimmer. Could be I had it on a 26g, not sure. But I was always having to adjust one thing or another on it. Never did get decent nog out of it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new