Reef Octopus BH-1000 a year later.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2011
Messages
7,212
Reaction score
1,687
Location
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this skimmer for a year on my 26g. Here's my opinion on it's performance. Note I'm using a pre-skimmer box that may or may not affect how well it skims. Without the box this skimmer would NOT surface skim at all. Even after cutting the intake tube in half.
It takes a lot of tweaking to find that sweet spot. Once found and hopefully maintained it pulls major nog. The neck gets gunked up within 48hrs, which means I'm cleaning it every other day. This gunk stops the foam from flowing into the cup.
Pretty quiet unless I have my t.v. turned up so loud I can't hear it.
Just for the heck of it I added some floss to the return chamber of the skimmer. This is what the floss looked like after 4 days.
9emysesa.jpg

I imagine this all returns to the tank without the floss in place.
I like this skimmer a lot! Don't mind adding/changing the floss at all. I do need a bigger pre-skimmer box for sure. The one I'm using now is 8x4x4. This is one strong skimmer.
 
Last edited:
I've had the same skimmer for about a year and also cut the intake tube in half in hopes of better surface skimming. Can you post a picture of your "pre-skimmer box" so I can get an idea of what you're working with? Thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new