Reef Octopus skimmer producing microbubbles in display

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had the NWB 150 SSS skimmer running for a few weeks now and it's producing some skimmate. I have no problem with the effectiveness of the skimmer. My problem is that it is producing micro bubbles out the bottom of the air tube that my return pump is picking up and shooting into the tank. The skimmer sits in the return pump area, the only place it can go. The water level fluctuates between 8.5 and 9.5 inches. I contact the guys I bought it from and they were no help.

What can I do to stop the micro bubbles?

Psyko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be difficult to eliminate the micro bubbles since the skimmer and return are sharing the same chamber. If its an option, you could add a couple of baffles which would separate the two and give you some sort of a bubble trap. A sponge on the return suction could help some but it may need to be cleaned often.

On a side note: skimmer may not operate consistently in the return section since the water level fluctuates unless you have some sort of ato to maintain the water level.

HTH

Last edited:

kuansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Reef Octopus Skimmers. They shouldn't produce micro-bubbles once they have broken in.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throttling back the air will help, but getting a better ATO or moving the skimmer to a stable section of the sump is the real answer.

Something simple like the Ultralife ATO based on a reed-type float switch is all it would take to hold the return section's water level to within 1/8" of where you set it. Fine for skimmer performance IME.

-Matt

Back