OP
OP
reeflife75g

reeflife75g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1" return line right now just a clear flex hose can I still connect that to this ?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that pump on my 75 gallon and it’s quiet and it worked great for about 10 moths. I run it on the top speed setting and the flow rate is at 5 times turn over of the tank. I wish I would have went with the larger pump either 4 or 6 so I could get to 10 times turn over flow rates because that where the Triton method recommends.

The varios-2 ones with a 3/4” barb or the 1” slip fitting. If you have 1” flex hose you’ll need to pick up a 1” spigot to barb adapter. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gray-male-pipe-adapter-spigot-x-barb.html

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Varios4 on my 45g cube. It runs at 50% max and is super quiet. I have a manifold so there's some extra restriction. I went with the bigger pump because you can always adjust it down.

OP
OP
reeflife75g

reeflife75g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true so I better get the 4 instead of the 2 cause it's really not good to run the pump wide open or atleast I don't think it's like a car it's not good to just run it wide open all the time

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not mistake return flow and turn over flow. Return flow need not in excess, if to great your skimmer and any reactors will not operate a peak. The overflow must also be able to handle the flow. Return flow should be anywhere from 1 to 3 times. The flow rate/turnover flow rate within the aquarium should be anywhere from 5 to 50 times depending on contents. You should not depend on your Tank return to supply the display flow/internal flow for inhabitants. You should look for a cheaper return, not in quality but just in general cost. Take a look at Eheim or Sicce and spend more on a good quality Wavemaker, Gyre, Vortec. If you want to get your return involved in some form of display flow you could put a Sea Squid on it or better would be a Sea Swirl.
Many people tend to look at Over flows into a sump as a Canister filter and they are not, almost all of the water going down to the sump is surface water that will contain Oils and floating debri. The stuff you see floating around in your display will either be broken down by the current and hopefully be caught up in the oils on the surface and flow to the sump and the skimmer can remove along with any Carbon you maybe using, or will settle onto Rock Work and on Bottom and either brake down in time into Nitrate or be siphoned out during water changes.
1 to 3 times does not sound like much but look at like this, if you took the pump and put it into the tank and added a hose and draped it over the side and it was pumping the volume onto your floor at 100 gal/h to 300 gal/hr well that is a hole new perspective.
Anyhow just my 2 cents.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the varios4 on my 75/30 and it performs awesome. Using bean animal 1.5” in overflow and 1” return. All super quiet

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best part about these VarioS is they are super quiet. I’d go with the VarioS 4

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back