Reef Pi PH Probe Help

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Im back asking for more help. So I have a reef pi setup currently with a PWM controller controlling two lights for my fresh water setup. I want to add a PH probe to my setup.

I bought the Atlas PH probe circuit- https://atlas-scientific.com/embedded-solutions/ezo-ph-circuit/
Atlas Mini-PH Probe- https://atlas-scientific.com/probes/mini-ph-probe/
And Atlas Carrier Board- https://atlas-scientific.com/carrier-boards/electrically-isolated-ezo-carrier-board-gen-2/

I have followed the outdated guide- https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-guide-7-ph-monitoring?view=all

So here is the issues im running into. I can not get the raspberry pi to see the sensor. I have it connected in parallel to my PWM controller and trying to read it using I2C. It will see the PWM IF i have the PH disconnected. If Both are connected the Pi wont see either or itll only see address 40 of the PWM controller.

Once I was able to get it to see both sensors via I2C. So I then tried to follow the guide and set the sensor up on Reef Pi i run into my next issue. When I go to the PH tab and click the plus button, the Analog Input drop down shows nothing. Do i need to create a driver like I did with the PWM controller?

I have also tried wiring it up as TX to Tx and Rx to Rx, as well as TX-Rx and Rx-Tx. Once again the Analog input doesnt show anything.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Does this also mean it should be connected in parallel on the I2C pins and not use the TX/RX pins?
Yeah you need to connect to I2C pins on Pi, SCL/SDA.

You also need to put that circuit in I2C mode, it's explained here.

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: got the board switch to I2C Blue LED and I see it in the I2Cdetect as pin 63, does that seem correct?
1635822004453.png

When i then setup the driver Ph_ezo to pin 63 and set an analog connector to use said driver and channel 0, and setup the PH page i get nothing as an output.

The reason I dont think its pin 40 or 70 is because those are what my PWM driver show up as. Disconnecting those makes both those numbers disappear.
I have even gone back to the drivers tab and set the ph driver address to 99 as shown in the robo-tank guide.

Thanks for all the help guys, im trying to piece all this different information together and it really helps having you all guide me in the right direction.

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your close, 63 is the pH but that's hex 0x63 so it needs to be converted to decimal which is 99. After you changed it you need to go to the "admin" tab and press the "reload" button so reef-pi can update, I think just that will get it working. Connector sounds right, if it still doesn't work delete the pH from pH tab, then delete the connector, then delete the driver. The go to Admin -> press reload, and add things back in order.

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your close, 63 is the pH but that's hex 0x63 so it needs to be converted to decimal which is 99. After you changed it you need to go to the "admin" tab and press the "reload" button so reef-pi can update, I think just that will get it working. Connector sounds right, if it still doesn't work delete the pH from pH tab, then delete the connector, then delete the driver. The go to Admin -> press reload, and add things back in order.
Yes that worked! All I had to do was reload as you suggested. Now time to setup email alerts.

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok another bump.

I seem to have trouble getting my ph probe calibrated. Whatever ph i use, 6.86, 9, etc the calibration doesn't change what the probe is showing.

I do know the probe is working as it changes with each ph reading, just always 2 points low.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok another bump.

I seem to have trouble getting my ph probe calibrated. Whatever ph i use, 6.86, 9, etc the calibration doesn't change what the probe is showing.

I do know the probe is working as it changes with each ph reading, just always 2 points low.
Maybe it's a misunderstanding, the value you see when you calibrate is only the raw uncalibrated value, after you set point 1 and move the probe to point 2 you won't see any effects from the 1st point you did. When you finish the calibration, close the window and re-enable the pH you'll then see the calibrated value.

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's a misunderstanding, the value you see when you calibrate is only the raw uncalibrated value, after you set point 1 and move the probe to point 2 you won't see any effects from the 1st point you did. When you finish the calibration, close the window and re-enable the pH you'll then see the calibrated value.
I think my issue was I had my check freq set to every 10 minutes so after i calibrated then turned the sensor back on my values on my graph didnt update immediately. After going back to try to re-cal the cal window does show my new values.

As a thank you for the help, here is my "reef" aquarium.

Attachments

• 2021-09-28 18.25.27.jpg
    2021-09-28 18.25.27.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 56

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my issue was I had my check freq set to every 10 minutes so after i calibrated then turned the sensor back on my values on my graph didnt update immediately. After going back to try to re-cal the cal window does show my new values.

As a thank you for the help, here is my "reef" aquarium.
Nice, that's the kind of reef tank I have too. :)

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Im back asking for more help. So I have a reef pi setup currently with a PWM controller controlling two lights for my fresh water setup. I want to add a PH probe to my setup.

I bought the Atlas PH probe circuit- https://atlas-scientific.com/embedded-solutions/ezo-ph-circuit/
Atlas Mini-PH Probe- https://atlas-scientific.com/probes/mini-ph-probe/
And Atlas Carrier Board- https://atlas-scientific.com/carrier-boards/electrically-isolated-ezo-carrier-board-gen-2/

I have followed the outdated guide- https://learn.adafruit.com/reef-pi-guide-7-ph-monitoring?view=all

So here is the issues im running into. I can not get the raspberry pi to see the sensor. I have it connected in parallel to my PWM controller and trying to read it using I2C. It will see the PWM IF i have the PH disconnected. If Both are connected the Pi wont see either or itll only see address 40 of the PWM controller.

Once I was able to get it to see both sensors via I2C. So I then tried to follow the guide and set the sensor up on Reef Pi i run into my next issue. When I go to the PH tab and click the plus button, the Analog Input drop down shows nothing. Do i need to create a driver like I did with the PWM controller?

I have also tried wiring it up as TX to Tx and Rx to Rx, as well as TX-Rx and Rx-Tx. Once again the Analog input doesnt show anything.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
i had the same problem,
since a few days im building my own reef pi build for my aquarium + vivarium. everything works fine but I can't get the sensors to show up on the temperature tab.

I checked if they show up by typing

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/

and the respons shows 2 sensors and the usual bus check w1_bus_master1

the sensors showing up are the combined ones in the dht11 (temp and humidity)

but now back to the problem, I can't select them in the ui, they won't even show up in the dropdown. what did I do wrong, I enabled one wire in the config but every time I select it again it again asks me if I want to enable it. does this have anything to do with it?

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you told the reef pi to use the proper driver?

Also you need to point reef pi to the right location the sensor is on. Read above and open the guides posted in the thread by Rob. Give those things a try and let us know what you see.

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you told the reef pi to use the proper driver?

Also you need to point reef pi to the right location the sensor is on. Read above and open the guides posted in the thread by Rob. Give those things a try and let us know what you see.
no I havent, thanks for your reply. I tried getting the proper driver but I can't figure out where to upload it. I need to get in the settings tab to the subtab drivers. do I then choose file digital? even though Ive got a lot of experience with rpi and ai its not really helping with reef-pi so excuse me for asking.

OP
OP
L

Lokilow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont upload any drivers. They are selectable in the configuration tab under drivers.

Again, read through the guides posted in this very thread and let us know where you are getting stuck.

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've been following this thread and I am having this exact problem with the same setup.
I tried deleting everything and re-adding everything back but analog still shows up empty. Is there anything else I can try?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back