Reef roids...Coral's love it but is there a better way?

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says. I use reef roids. Spot feed and then broadcast feed. Every piece in my tank likes it. but it pollutes the tank. First day nitrites go up, second day nitrates. I am using Phosban but reef roids are algae fertilizer. Is there a better way to feed my corals? or is it just the work that goes with the passion? I use less than stated on the directions. But wow does it pollute the tank....

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most here will probably say just fish poop but I also think most people want to feel active in their tanks and using reef roids gives me the feeling of that. If your wanting to use some type of corals foods it will pollute your water but use some type of method to bring nitrates down some if it's a problem so you can feed more.

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the title says. I use reef roids. Spot feed and then broadcast feed. Every piece in my tank likes it. but it pollutes the tank. First day nitrites go up, second day nitrates. I am using Phosban but reef roids are algae fertilizer. Is there a better way to feed my corals? or is it just the work that goes with the passion? I use less than stated on the directions. But wow does it pollute the tank....

I'm using reef roids everyday in my 10g nano to try and add nutrients, after removing my chemipure blue and its addition I still cannot get my phosphates to be detectable with Hannah low range, and nitrates don't go above 2ppm. You sure this is the cause?

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using reef roids everyday in my 10g nano to try and add nutrients, after removing my chemipure blue and its addition I still cannot get my phosphates to be detectable with Hannah low range, and nitrates don't go above 2ppm. You sure this is the cause?
yup I have been charting my water results for some time. When I first noticed a change I started testing everyday and charting my results. its the roids....The coral are doing great. I use phosban , purigen, rox .8 and a good skimmer, Ozone when needed. I watched my ORP today drop from 355 to 240 after feeding. Now ORP is not the end all be all but its a fair indicator of organics in the water. I was wondering if any one else has had better luck with something else.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you using it?

I target feed with Reef Roids twice weekly and have only seen a slight increase in my nitrates and film algae, but its been enough to make a noticable improvement in my corals.

Depending on how often you're using it, maybe you could consider cutting back on the frequency.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reefroids as well. 2x a week half the dose broadcasting. Personally my nitrates never get over 5ppm. Usually around 1-2.5ppm. My corals are growing like crazy. Especially the Rasta Zoanthids. Had 8 now 32 in 4 months. I will also say the ATI True Actinic plays a major role in the health and growth as well. In the past 2 weeks 7 polyps grew out.
I seen this on a BRStv video. The ONLY two that are beneficial to our corals without a negative impact(yes a negative impact) is Reefchili & Reefroids.
Reefroids being the better of the two IMO. As far as the test results. Reefchili had 1 out of the 3 major test results higher than Reefroids. Reefroids was a more balanced positive impact, but they both deserve credit where it is due, since the other brands can hurt your corals negatively.
For the person looking for low phosphate test results. Checkout the ELOS "PRO" Phosphate test kit. It always reads and very easy to use. I did a video on how to use on YouTube.
40B Knasty ELOS PRO PHOSPHATE TEST KIT.
How much of a water change are you doing, how often, and what is the size of your tank?
If you are having trouble with GHA like I am right now from over feeding. Check another video on YouTube call Bacter Clean M by Continuum that I did. (just copy paste the words)The algae has gone from brown to olive green/faded white. Almost two weeks in and soon it will be all gone 100% guaranty.
Also if you do have algae and it is currently growing. What dies becomes more phosphate and nitrates since you are treating it. Rinse your mechanical filtration or change it as much as possible. Once you start exporting all this more frequent. It will come down. If you do not, your mechanical filtration holding that decaying matter has now become a phosphate/nitrate/nutrients reactor.

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reefroids as well. 2x a week half the dose broadcasting. Personally my nitrates never get over 5ppm. Usually around 1-2.5ppm. My corals are growing like crazy. Especially the Rasta Zoanthids. Had 8 now 32 in 4 months. I will also say the ATI True Actinic plays a major role in the health and growth as well. In the past 2 weeks 7 polyps grew out.
I seen this on a BRStv video. The ONLY two that are beneficial to our corals without a negative impact(yes a negative impact) is Reefchili & Reefroids.
Reefroids being the better of the two IMO. As far as the test results. Reefchili had 1 out of the 3 major test results higher than Reefroids. Reefroids was a more balanced positive impact, but they both deserve credit where it is due, since the other brands can hurt your corals negatively.
For the person looking for low phosphate test results. Checkout the ELOS "PRO" Phosphate test kit. It always reads and very easy to use. I did a video on how to use on YouTube.
40B Knasty ELOS PRO PHOSPHATE TEST KIT.
How much of a water change are you doing, how often, and what is the size of your tank?
If you are having trouble with GHA like I am right now from over feeding. Check another video on YouTube call Bacter Clean M by Continuum that I did. (just copy paste the words)The algae has gone from brown to olive green/faded white. Almost two weeks in and soon it will be all gone 100% guaranty.
Also if you do have algae and it is currently growing. What dies becomes more phosphate and nitrates since you are treating it. Rinse your mechanical filtration or change it as much as possible. Once you start exporting all this more frequent. It will come down. If you do not, your mechanical filtration holding that decaying matter has now become a phosphate/nitrate/nutrients reactor.

75 gallon 15 in the sump. change 15 gallons every 2 weeks. I use rox.8, and GFO. I have (I think) found the issue. I buy my water at a LFS that has been around for years. Out of Haha's I tested the water before I used it. you guessed it. the Phosphate was high. They advertise RODI but They actually sell BS. SO....Gonna have to buy a Rodi unit. I mixed up a test batch of tap water from my house and PO4 was half of what they were selling.....Thank you everyone for the reply's. I will post an update once I buy a unit. R2R family is the best!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon 15 in the sump. change 15 gallons every 2 weeks. I use rox.8, and GFO. I have (I think) found the issue. I buy my water at a LFS that has been around for years. Out of Haha's I tested the water before I used it. you guessed it. the Phosphate was high. They advertise RODI but They actually sell BS. SO....Gonna have to buy a Rodi unit. I mixed up a test batch of tap water from my house and PO4 was half of what they were selling.....Thank you everyone for the reply's. I will post an update once I buy a unit. R2R family is the best!
LFS are so bad.. Ich, velvet, bug infested corals, bad proclaimed RO/DI water, bubbles in the seems of a tank, misguided info about what works for tankmates or reef safe, 7 x refrozen foods through shipping, not using a real freezer to hold the nutrients in the food, products of reef food that has negative impacts, tanks that are never treated, etc..
I mean the honest thing to say to anyone before they were to start the hobby,"you need to become your own pet store and have the right products. You need a frag and fish qt. Otherwise EVERYTHING is rolling the dice."

OP
OP
Ubergroover

Ubergroover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS are so bad.. Ich, velvet, bug infested corals, bad proclaimed RO/DI water, bubbles in the seems of a tank, misguided info about what works for tankmates or reef safe, 7 x refrozen foods through shipping, not using a real freezer to hold the nutrients in the food, products of reef food that has negative impacts, tanks that are never treated, etc..
I mean the honest thing to say to anyone before they were to start the hobby,"you need to become your own pet store and have the right products. You need a frag and fish qt. Otherwise EVERYTHING is rolling the dice."
no truer words than that!

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use arctic copepod powder to feed my corals. In 1 month i’ve Had some good growth in my favia.

1 month ago
57796A74-F1CF-48EA-8649-7666438A0A4D.jpeg

Last Sunday.
53C42E5A-8F26-449F-AE1B-38A499FF05F2.jpeg

mr. lovestrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the best results with live copepods. the price point is higher, but, they do stay alive until consumed and seem to be great detritivores.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO fish poop the best food for the corals

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO fish poop the best food for the corals

I understand and agree mostly -- But when it comes to spot feeding to increase growth speed, and potentially color corals up, it's a completely different beast. It's like the difference of Natural growth vs Steroids. People who feed are opting for steroids, to achieve unnatural growth speed in our tanks.

Additionally, in the wild they eat planktons. PolypLab is made exclusively of exactly what corals literally eat in the wild, a mix of planktons. So it should be an ideal food source as far as we know.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do add some roids a couple times a month, and drops of phytoplankton at the same time so I figured it cant hurt. But i have alot of fish thus a heavy bioload so the various frozen foods(8 cubes a day) coupled with the fish poop seems to be adequate enough for the corals i have since they all started from 1 and 2 inch frags added in intervals over the last 2.5 years and grow at a decent enough clip to the point i frag them and trade them to my lfs for some free food every few months.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do add some roids a couple times a month, and drops of phytoplankton at the same time so I figured it cant hurt. But i have alot of fish thus a heavy bioload so the various frozen foods(8 cubes a day) coupled with the fish poop seems to be adequate enough for the corals i have since they all started from 1 and 2 inch frags added in intervals over the last 2.5 years and grow at a decent enough clip to the point i frag them and trade them to my lfs for some free food every few months.
Wow, 8 cubes?

Please tell us more about your tank!

Pics!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back