Reef-Roids

Long Island Larry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So being kinda new to Reefing I have started adding coral to my 30 gal and have been dousing with Fule. I noticed that some have been using Reef-roids and was wondering since my tank is so new (its only been running since late November) would it be ok to use something like Reef -roids in such a young tank or would I be better off waiting until the tank is a little more established?

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you just have to watch your Nitrates and Phosphates. Your export just has to match your import. With Aminos and products like Reef Roids you can quickly get your nutrients out of control. With a newer tank you most likely have fewer and smaller corals. I would just spot feed. I use a shot glass to add a small amount of roids than mix it with tank water. Then use a baster to spot feed and the whole tank still gets covered. I like to turn my pumps off. Then after 5-10 minutes I turn the power heads on. I wait another 5-10 then turn my return pumps on. It is one of the coolest parts on having a reef tank is getting to watch corals feeding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Long Island Larry

Long Island Larry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool .... Thanks, guys I will take your suggestions to heart. I tried it on Saturday and noticed my shrimp and hermit crabs love it. This should be good for them to eat up to? Am I correct in saying that?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the shotglass method, but even with a thick slurry its still messy. Really pay attention to your nutrient levels when using it. Its fine for your fish and inverts as well. I use a 1/4 teaspoon and about 5ml of tank water and spot feed.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefroids equal algae breakout for me. I have a bucket of that and benipets that just sits there. I’ll probably never use them because everytime I do I end up with a planted tank.
I find the Benipets have a greater response from the fish. As soon as it touches the water fish 4 foot away start reacting. Reef Roids is a more consistent finer particle. I am not sure which one works better. Both work great but will raise nutrients if to much is added. You could try checking and when your nutrients are down putting a small amount(1/4 teaspoon) with just enough water that a baster will suck it up. Mine will get clogged and I will have to squeeze and release a couple time it get it unclogged. then wait a week or two and if your nutrients are back to where they were do it again. If not wait another week. Once the coral get accustomed to eating it you can literally set them grow by the day.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its way easy to overdose, esp if you broadcast feed. Id do the slurry method. If you have fish in your tank that you feed, your corals are likely getting fed enough, but they will respond well to occasional direct feedings. I havent fed my corals for a year and they are doing fine. (I stopped bc I actually OD'd on reef roids due to my own heavy handed feeding and not testing the tank that often- and had a huge green hair algae outbreak). Shrimp and crabs eat everything, reef roids is fine for them. = )

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef roids here...filter off pumps off, 1/8 teaspoon with about 30-40 ml water. Then target feed. wait about 10 min, turn on pumps for about 10-15 min to flow the food around, then turn filter back on...Less is more...You can always do less more often but if you put too much in at once, you put too much nutrients in the water you have to remove or suffer high nitrates/phosphates = algae you don't want.....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many will probably disagree but I’m not a fan of reef roids at all. All I have ever seen it do is irritate corals, never have I witnessed eating. I’d skip it.
Same here. I actually gave it away to a fellow reefer.

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of overfeeding. I got 2 cyano blooms due to excess nutrients. Now I just do a water change same or next day to help nutrient export.
This is what I do. I spot feed with reef roids the day before a water change. Minimizes the risk of having too much nutrition in the water.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be called phosroids.
I actually controls the phosphate level now in a coral experiment tank by changing the daily dose of ReefRoids :)
We feed many other coral foods, but it seems like ReefRoids is one of the foods that adds the most phosphate. Maybe that’s a good thing, full of nutrients perhaps!
But it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the PO4 level when using it IMO.

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reef roids... you would be be fine to spot feed but take it easy when broadcast feeding. Id up the amount every time until you get to your desired amount. as some others have stated on here, negative or no affects at all have been associated with reef roids. I had a decent feeding response to it but I chose to move away from reef roids all together. I made my own for a little then moved to the collection of "feast" products reef nutrition has.

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch this video. The conclusion speculates that the anecdotes about reef roids working is likely do ULN tanks that are deficient in coral nutrition, and over the long run will result in algae issues.

This video is insanely well done. Thank you for posting it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back