Reef safe butterflies

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen photos of butterflies kept in SPS dominant reef tanks and am interested in learning about which species are less likely to nip at corals. I know that pyramid and zoster species are planktavores, not coralavores. But, I’m sure there are others that are appropriate for an SPS tank. What do y’all recommend that isn’t as likely to eat my corals and is not too difficult to keep?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic longnose butterfly, schooling bannerfish, butterflys from the subgenus roaops like burgess tinkers etc and longnose and copperbands are all decent candidates but it still totslly depends on the individual fush

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive researched the same thing. According to my research (not experience),
Watanabei Angelfish are reef safe. Best kept in a pair male/female
Personally, I’ve never seen one in store so they may be difficult to find. And maybe stupid expensive. Who knows? One can dream

Heads up: They do get to be 6 inches in length and are recommended for a 125g tank.

46830C18-E0EF-42BE-B420-BB68FE3CA44C.png

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering a double saddle for my sps reef.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience, but from what I have read, some are "with caution" but none are a 100% guarantee. Tagging a long to learn.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen photos of butterflies kept in SPS dominant reef tanks and am interested in learning about which species are less likely to nip at corals. I know that pyramid and zoster species are planktavores, not coralavores. But, I’m sure there are others that are appropriate for an SPS tank. What do y’all recommend that isn’t as likely to eat my corals and is not too difficult to keep?

The Pyramid is the closest thing to a 100% reef safe butterflyfish, they can still nip if underfed.
The Copperband Butterflyfish is mostly reef safe, but they can still nip at corals, they can also be a difficult fish to get to eat and survive long term in captivity (You have to literally pick the right fish at the LFS)
The Longnose Yellow (more often than not they do well in reefs) but a bit more of a gamble than the Copperband and definitely more than the Pyramid

Beyond that the odds of success go down exponentially. At best you have a fish that is about on par with your average dwarf angel and at worst you have a fish that is more likely than not to devour your corals.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pyramid is the closest thing to a 100% reef safe butterflyfish, they can still nip if underfed.
The Copperband Butterflyfish is mostly reef safe, but they can still nip at corals, they can also be a difficult fish to get to eat and survive long term in captivity (You have to literally pick the right fish at the LFS)
The Longnose Yellow (more often than not they do well in reefs) but a bit more of a gamble than the Copperband and definitely more than the Pyramid

Beyond that the odds of success go down exponentially. At best you have a fish that is about on par with your average dwarf angel and at worst you have a fish that is more likely than not to devour your corals.
That’s helpful. I had a pyramid butterfly and he didn’t do well. I ordered him and a Kole tang together. About a month or so later, I had a velvet outbreak that called all but a six line Wrasse and two gobies. The butterfly and Kole were the first to go. I’m not sure if they were the ones that brought it in, but that’s my best guess. I didn’t (nor do I now)have a QT.

In your opinion, which of the ones you mentioned would be the hardiest? I was thinking of trying a zoster (black pyramid) but I’m not sure about them either. Of course, I do know that a lot depends on where you get them but I still consider most online places about the same. Unless you have a different experience.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’ve never seen one in store so they may be difficult to find. And maybe stupid expensive. Who knows? One can dream

Heads up: They do get to be 6 inches in length and are recommended for a 125g tank.

I’ve thought of getting one but like the bellus better. I think they are hardier. Still, I’d like a butterfly!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atlantic longnose butterfly, schooling bannerfish, butterflys from the subgenus roaops like burgess tinkers etc and longnose and copperbands are all decent candidates but it still totslly depends on the individual fush
That’s helpful. Thank you. Which of these have you had?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s occurred to me that you asked about butterfly fish. Not angels. Sorry. Brain freeze lol

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I’ve always wanted one but have always been scared it make s meal out of my clam.

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably your best bet is the schooling banner fish (H. Diphreutes) which is a dedicated planktivore. If I were to risk adding a butterfly species that would be the one I would consider. CBB is also a consideration, but much less hardy than the bannerfish, and difficult to get acclimated. I will say I have not been able to find a schooling bannerfish for sale, so they must be difficult to find. I have gone back and forth about adding a dwarf angel or butterfly, but the more I find myself buying corals and really be into their growth and color, the more I am like no way man. I am not risking it. My worst nightmare right now would be to add a fish that starts munching away on my corals, and then even worse would be me tearing up all the rock work and damaging corals trying to catch it. No Thanks! I like the bellus too and would love to have a female, but man they are pricey! Saw a female swallowtail on DD and it had me thinking too. ;)

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably your best bet is the schooling banner fish (H. Diphreutes) which is a dedicated planktivore. If I were to risk adding a butterfly species that would be the one I would consider. CBB is also a consideration, but much less hardy than the bannerfish, and difficult to get acclimated. I will say I have not been able to find a schooling bannerfish for sale, so they must be difficult to find. I have gone back and forth about adding a dwarf angel or butterfly, but the more I find myself buying corals and really be into their growth and color, the more I am like no way man. I am not risking it. My worst nightmare right now would be to add a fish that starts munching away on my corals, and then even worse would be me tearing up all the rock work and damaging corals trying to catch it. No Thanks! I like the bellus too and would love to have a female, but man they are pricey! Saw a female swallowtail on DD and it had me thinking too. ;)
FWIW, I have a Pygmy (cherub) angel and he doesn’t peck at anything. Maybe I’m lucky but mine is a good boy!

Bradley Keck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have a Pygmy (cherub) angel and he doesn’t peck at anything. Maybe I’m lucky but mine is a good boy!
I LOVE several of the dwarf angels, the pygmy being one of my favorites, but just not willing to roll the dice now. ;NailbitingMy reef is still so new and most of my corals are just now established and growing. Maybe when they are all a year older, it won't bother me as much if something nips at a thriving colony.;) Until then, 100% reef safe for me. There are so many different species I would like to keep that are not reef safe, it has me considering a FOWLR set-up in the future.:)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back