Are Any Corals Safe from Butterflies?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple of years, I'm finally getting decent growth from most of my corals. I would like to add several more fish to the tank. As the title suggests, I'm thinking about butterflies but I understand that none are considered reef safe. I've already had some surprises with tangs eating soft corals. Should I have any hope for corals to survive Butterflies?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid butterfly is reef safe
Copperband is reef safe with caution and may go after acans, scolys, fungias, fleshy lps

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many butterflies over the years. The only butterfly that never touched a coral is my copperband. He is currently in a reef with LPS and SPS. The generalists, Aurigas, Rafflessi and others, will eat virtually everything.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many butterflies over the years. The only butterfly that never touched a coral is my copperband. He is currently in a reef with LPS and SPS. The generalists, Aurigas, Rafflessi and others, will eat virtually everything.
@dennis romano speaks truth. I've been through Auriga, Klein (twice, currently have one for aiptasia control), lattice, vagabond and pearlscale. They will all nip at lps & zoas for sure (IME). Ironically the pearlscale was the better of the citizens, but I couldn't plant new zoas as it would rip them off the plugs EVERY time.

I love the look of a fat, established butterfly but be weary...

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Pakistan and a Raccoon. I had a really bad aiptasia problem. I decided to go nuclear and add the butterflies. All aiptasia hundreds of them gone within 2 weeks. They can eat all the coral they want. Lol Seriously though I think leathers and other softies are pretty safe. SPS will be gone. LPS you might get lucky if you get them very small and feed really well. Take that as just my experience. I'm more of a fish guy so I don't have very many high end corals I would cry over if a fish ate them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back