Reef safe epoxy for embedding magnets? (DIY Ceramic frag rack)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bob2bob
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bob2bob

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2018
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I decided to try my hand at making a frag rack out of ceramic clay and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on an epoxy to use in order to embed some magnets inside the frag rack. I can't put the magnets in before firing the racks because the kiln will reach hellish temperatures and I don't think thats safe plus it will likely do something to the magnetism.

So im looking for something that is both super strong (so the magnets don't fall out), adheres to ceramics, and is reef safe.

here are some pics:

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.35.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.37.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.37.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.37.37 AM.png
 
I've used two part clear epoxy to embed magnets and it works great and is cheap. You can get it at Home Depot/Lowes/craft store, etc. I put a thin coat in and let it harden, and then pour the remainder over the magnet. This way the magnet is totally encased, not just sitting on the ceramic which will still be able to leach through later. Hope that helps.

-Ed
 
Thanks @acro-ed! any generic two-part then or do you have a brand you like in particular? Good idea to encapsulate the entire magnet
 
I used a 2 part polyester casting resin to encase neodymium magnets for some frag racks I made a few years ago.
I found that as long as I used a dye in my resin uv light didn't break down the finished product like it does with clear casts.
 
I used a 2 part polyester casting resin to encase neodymium magnets for some frag racks I made a few years ago.
I found that as long as I used a dye in my resin uv light didn't break down the finished product like it does with clear casts.

Woah didn't even think of the effect of UV lighting on the epoxy...
 
there are exactly zero epoxies i would trust to be waterproof for a long period of time. and i’ve been working with magnets as a diyer and professional for many years. way too much chance for breakdown, cracks, etc.
 
there are exactly zero epoxies i would trust to be waterproof for a long period of time. and i’ve been working with magnets as a diyer and professional for many years. way too much chance for breakdown, cracks, etc.
I used a polyester casting resin and I still have a couple frag racks that I made around 10 years ago.
The casting resin, which I used is still in pretty good shape and still holding.
 
there are exactly zero epoxies i would trust to be waterproof for a long period of time. and i’ve been working with magnets as a diyer and professional for many years. way too much chance for breakdown, cracks, etc.


Most submersible aquarium pumps are sealed via epoxy encapsulation. Many (Uv exposed) commercial aquaculture tanks are epoxy coated as well. There are many different types of epoxy that all perform differently so I wouldn’t want to make any broad generalizations about which ones would or wouldn’t be appropriate for this purpose. Anecdotally, in my experience, the clear pour on glaze coat epoxy has been safe in my reefs for several years now without degradation. That may not be the case with other types.
 
Ceramic tile is porous. Without a glaze on it, water will migrate through the ceramic to the magnet. I’d encase the magnets completely in epoxy. It’s going to be difficult to ensure they are completely encased inside the pockets in the ceramic.
 
there are exactly zero epoxies i would trust to be waterproof for a long period of time. and i’ve been working with magnets as a diyer and professional for many years. way too much chance for breakdown, cracks, etc.
What is your preferred method encapsulate magnets if you don't use epoxy resin?
 
I use plastic coated magnets from www.kjmagnetics.com and HD/Lowes epoxy to bond them to the frag racks. A couple of mine have been in constant use for well over 5 years with no issue whatsoever.
 
What is your preferred method encapsulate magnets if you don't use epoxy resin?
I used polyester casting resin on a bunch of frag racks 10-12 years ago for friends.
I still have one that I use occasionally.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new