reef safe magnets

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know any reef safe magnets? i wanna make a diy magnetic rock/drilled and epoxy magnet inside .

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plastic coated ones from www.kjmagnetics.com I use the 3/4 diameter x 3/8 thick. I think they have ~#10 pull. Great for frag racks or whatever else you think of. Some of them have been in one tank or another for at least 15-20 years and are as good as the day I got them.

mikee002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plastic coated ones from www.kjmagnetics.com I use the 3/4 diameter x 3/8 thick. I think they have ~#10 pull. Great for frag racks or whatever else you think of. Some of them have been in one tank or another for at least 15-20 years and are as good as the day I got them.

Do you find that the 10# pull is enough? I’m assuming you have 1 inside the tank and 1 on the outside, or you have. Metal object only on one side?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KJ Magnetics seconded. Pull strength is a function of wall thickness.

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick of glass do you use them on? Looking to use these and wondering if they’d be sufficiently strong through the glass on my standard 75 gallon.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick of glass do you use them on? Looking to use these and wondering if they’d be sufficiently strong through the glass on my standard 75 gallon.
The ones I have used work well for anything up to about 1/2" glass
Im wanting to do something similar but I have 3/4" glass...
KJ sells magnets of many different strengths. It might take a little experimentation, but I'm 100% certain that they'll have what you need. The ones I use on my tanks have. I think, about 10+ lbs of pull and are plenty strong enough even on an ancient Oceanic 120 with 1/2" glass. Perhaps look at something in the 15-20lb strength?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back