Reef Snow?

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. So I am having some difficulty figuring out why I got this reef snow. I have seen many threads about calcium participate which is what I believe this is.

I run a Calcium reactor and also I run an Kalk reactor for pH boost. Regardless of my setup I am wondering how to get rid of this.

My levels are as follows - Alk 8.9, Calcium 410, and Mag 1350. I decided I wanted to raise my Calcium about 20 ppm. Keep in mind as I mentioned my levels have been stable for a few days now. I added 12 ML of Red Sea Foundation liquid (my tank is 65g) so that should have raised it only about 10 or so ppm. I tested about an hour after and it was about 420ish. Today back to 410 and snowing. Any idea what I could do or have done wrong and how to ellinimate the snow flakes? I am sure some of it is copepods but it is mainly "snowing" floats everywhere.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from travel and am too tired to figure this out. Someone on here will know.

What I can't understand is how you joined on April 9th and so far no one seems to have said:

"Welcome to Reef2Reef"

welcome-aboard.jpg

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you so much! Yea I am a live long reefer but have never had a thriving aquarium. Trying to do small things one at a time.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the way to go, slow and steady. I don't use Red Sea additives, but I did a little looking around and the snowstorm seems to be reported occasionally when these are added due to ionic imbalance and the resulting precipitation event. :)

This place is the best for learning, most of the people on here are very nice and eager to help and there is a wide range of skill and experience that will come around and help solve issues.

I'm still wondering how come folks are not launching into the "Welcome to Reef2Reef" mode for a new member, but hopefully, we can get both of these solved with some help.

@Crabs McJones

Also, here is a link to a calculator that may help you solve this yourself:

https://reefhacks.com/aquarium-calculator/

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I actually used that calculator to calculator the Calcium increase. Not sure why it precipitated out. Eitherway I just did a 20% water change in case and going to see if it clear up tommorow. I will turn on my CaRx and Kalk once everything stabilizes.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R
It's not dosing alk and calcium at the same time is it, that can cause precipitation. Otherwise if alk is not dosed in a high flow area itll precipitate out as well :)

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, well I only dosed Reef Foundation A to boost Calcium. My Alkalnity was good at 8.9. Should I have dosed both even though the alkalinity was on par? I have a Calcium reactor setup so normally the levels are usually stable. I was trying to raise my Calcium a little as it was around 405-410 which I thought might be a little low. What is the best way to raise Calcium without effecting Alkalnity or is there not a way?

Also, for the time being, how do I get rid of the snow storm? I just did a 20% water change. Should I do another one tommorow or something?

Thank you! And thank you for the welcome.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note. I have a mixed reef mainly, mushrooms, LPS, SPS, and a Clam. What levels should I be aiming for anyway or keeping things at?

Also I just got myself a par meter after 8 years. I noticed my par is incredible low around 50-100 in the top half of the tank and bottom. Most of my SPS are brown and have little to no color. I assume this is the result of the lighting. Should I aim for something specific? I have a radion and will be using the incremental acclimation the reeflink provides. I assume 5% per week is best?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note. I have a mixed reef mainly, mushrooms, LPS, SPS, and a Clam. What levels should I be aiming for anyway or keeping things at?

Also I just got myself a par meter after 8 years. I noticed my par is incredible low around 50-100 in the top half of the tank and bottom. Most of my SPS are brown and have little to no color. I assume this is the result of the lighting. Should I aim for something specific? I have a radion and will be using the incremental acclimation the reeflink provides. I assume 5% per week is best?
I have a mixed reef at 300 par and my sps could take more light. Some people on here have 500-800 par and get really great coloration. 50-100 will barely keep mushrooms and zoas alive, and I doubt they would be reproducing at those levels.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let me rephrase it. The bottom of the tank is about 50-75. Middle is about 75-100. And top is about 100-125.

Most of my softies are on the middle to bottom and SPS on the top. My clam is on the bottom.

So with that all being said it sounds like my lights need to be increased. How slow should I raise them and at what percentage adjustment?

My Radion is at 30% right now. My light is about 10” above water and tank is about 18” deep. I put them at 60% with the par meter to see what I need to get them too. So I have to go from 30-60 from what it seems. Then par is about 250-300 throughout the tank.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let me rephrase it. The bottom of the tank is about 50-75. Middle is about 75-100. And top is about 100-125.

Most of my softies are on the middle to bottom and SPS on the top. My clam is on the bottom.

So with that all being said it sounds like my lights need to be increased. How slow should I raise them and at what percentage adjustment?

My Radion is at 30% right now. My light is about 10” above water and tank is about 18” deep. I put them at 60% with the par meter to see what I need to get them too. So I have to go from 30-60 from what it seems. Then par is about 250-300 throughout the tank.
Some people go slower than others. Some do 5% every 2 weeks, some do faster. I’ve done 10% a week and haven’t had any issues, take that with a grain of salt though, once your into higher par ranges things can bleach quickly, especially if you have low nutrients.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say low nutrients do you mean Nirates and Phophates or amino acids/energy?

Still I know I went on a tangent but I gotta figure out how to get rid of the snow. Not sure how much of a water change I should do and when to get things back into balance or just wait it out.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say low nutrients do you mean Nirates and Phophates or amino acids/energy?

Still I know I went on a tangent but I gotta figure out how to get rid of the snow. Not sure how much of a water change I should do and when to get things back into balance or just wait it out.
Nitrate & phosphate.
Where are you dosing your alk into? If it’s lower flow that will cause that. Or maybe your mag test kit was inaccurate. Low mag causes issues like that.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested mag as well and it was 1350.

My tank normally has low nitrates (1-2) and 0 phophates. So probably make sure I am feeding more.

OP
OP
Derrick Picker

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I just let it sit for a few days and it will naturally go away or do I need to do something to get rid of it?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back