Reef starter tank

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering, from experience what size tank do you think is best to start for reefing? A mini nano (5-10 Gallons) A nano (20-30 Gallons) A medium sized tank (40-55 Gallons) A bigger range tank (75-100 Gallons) Or 150-200 Gallons?

I am already in the process of starting my new reef tank (180 Gallons) But I was just wondering what would you guys really suggest starting with?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the smaller the tank the harder it will be to keep things stable with no prior experience. most say go as big as you can afford, but that has to be within reason also. too big and it can be overwhelming to do maintenance. some where around a 40 gallon breeder seems to be the most recommended for starting out in saltwater. i went with a 65 and upgraded that to a 75. that's not saying smaller or bigger don't work for starter tanks. smaller requires more vigilance with cleaning and topping off with fresh water to keep stable parameters, and a larger tank just requires more time for maintenance, but is generally more stable in parameters.

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the smaller the tank the harder it will be to keep things stable with no prior experience. most say go as big as you can afford, but that has to be within reason also. too big and it can be overwhelming to do maintenance. some where around a 40 gallon breeder seems to be the most recommended for starting out in saltwater. i went with a 65 and upgraded that to a 75. that's not saying smaller or bigger don't work for starter tanks. smaller requires more vigilance with cleaning and topping off with fresh water to keep stable parameters, and a larger tank just requires more time for maintenance, but is generally more stable in parameters.
Thanks!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to each. With a small tank it is harder to keep it stable, but duing water changes is quick and easy, helping to eliminate a lot of potential problems.
A big tank can be easier until there is a problem. Correcting a problem can be much harder.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back