question for big tank owners

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing, and quickly just love it, but only have a 50 gallon system, max G2 200. when I go to LFS and I see the larger tanks I think "wow I would love a big tank." I would love the big fish and the nice tangs and the diversity large reef tank would afford me.,. But then I'm thinking what you own, owns you back. i've already done a couple water changes to my small 50 gallon system. (I know small is relative because there are plenty of folks with nice nano tanks into them, my tank is large.) That's not a big deal. I process 5 gallons of water very easily. But at 200 gallon tank? That would mean what every 7 to 10 days I got a cycle in and out 20 gallons of water . I'm thinking i would own great reef tank, but the reef tank would also own my ****. Does a large reef tank just really take a lot a lot of effort in terms of the amount of water you have to deal with in the change, particularly? oh, and what if you'd ever want to move? If I had a tank like that, I would wanna make sure it's the last place I ever lived at. who would ever want to move at 200 gallon reef tank?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple 32 gallon brutes, spare pumps and 3/4" tubing is all you need for easy water changes. But yea, same thing but more..

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple 32 gallon brutes, spare pumps and 3/4" tubing is all you need for easy water changes. But yea, same thing but more..
I have my brutes on the roller wheels. 1 for new saltwater, 1 for removing saltwater and 1 for RODI, I feel like my maintenance is pretty easy on my 180

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automated water changes would be your best friend from the sound of it. I use to do 25 gallons biweekly on a 150G, with just buckets. It was a pain to say the least

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my brutes on the roller wheels. 1 for new saltwater, 1 for removing saltwater and 1 for RODI, I feel like my maintenance is pretty easy on my 180
My brutes just live in the middle of my living room:face-with-rolling-eyes:. Working towards a full water change station set up and plumbed to a spare bedroom

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes become less necessary over time. Many people aim to perfect their nutrient export system and trace element replenishment in other ways (filtration and dosing), so water changes are only used in emergencies. They are a necessary evil early on, but as their tank becomes stable, they become less relevant.

As far as moving goes, moving a 200-gallon tank is definitely more work than moving a 50-gallon tank, especially when you consider having to keep livestock alive. It is a more complex issue, for sure, but it's not impossible, and certainly, a hobbyist could move it with some help. Start delving into realms much bigger than that, though, and it might just be better to hire a tank-moving crew.

leechlightning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my setup ~225g display, I have 100g salt water mix tank with auto water changes, and an 85g rodi pressure tank for RO storage, refill and mix up about every 4 weeks, can do a bunch of maintenance on a monthly schedule

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back