Protecting carpet from spillage and mitigating landlord concerns with 42 gallon reef tank

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a Red Sea Reefer 200, which is 41 gallon tank but like 50 gallons total system volume. I am new at this so I ordered the Max model figuring the more mechanical help the better. But I live in an upstairs apartment that has carpeting. I want to mitigate any concerns the manager will have when she first sees the tank. She told me not to get a big one, so I figure 41 gallon is not too large. If they huff and puff I will throw money at the problem in terms of giving them a security deposit. I can find nothing on the internet that suggests a tank my size will pose any problems. But one concern they may have is water spillage. Does anyone know of any good kind of mat or something I might place underneath or in front of the reef tank to protect against spillage? Thank you so much!

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, actually now that I am thinking about this, maybe I will just get a nice floor or throw rug to put i front of the tank.

Seriously, should there be any cause or reason for a responsible owner to still cause some kind of damage with a reef tank in the 50 gallon range? IE, if you own an apartment, you are renting to a responsible tenant, what would your concern be?

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, actually now that I am thinking about this, maybe I will just get a nice floor or throw rug to put i front of the tank.

Seriously, should there be any cause or reason for a responsible owner to still cause some kind of damage with a reef tank in the 50 gallon range? IE, if you own an apartment, you are renting to a responsible tenant, what would your concern be?
I just rotate towels and throw them on the floor when I'm working in my tank. Doesnt need anything fancy.

Maybe tell your landlord that this is a significant investment for you and that you have as much interest in it not exploding as they do.

Also maybe renters insurance will ease their mind

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try those absorbent doggie pads. Face-up and they catch water as it drops. Face-down and they soak up what's already been spilled.

I really appreciate all the responses and support here. But I am wondering my tank is kind of large @ 41 display.
Should I consider telling my LFS I changed my mind and want the 32 gal display version, or am I over-thinking?
the difference is the smaller one has a 1" less width. talking Red Sea 170 versus 200. But I ordered the 200. Kinda wished I ordered the 170 so in my mind it is safer in case of disaster etc.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving blankets from your local Chinese Hardware store work great for maintenance days.

Carpet remnants or area rugs work good for everyday.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the responses and support here. But I am wondering my tank is kind of large @ 41 display.
Should I consider telling my LFS I changed my mind and want the 32 gal display version, or am I over-thinking?
the difference is the smaller one has a 1" less width. talking Red Sea 170 versus 200. But I ordered the 200. Kinda wished I ordered the 170 so in my mind it is safer in case of disaster etc.
Negligible difference. They aren't going to be able to tell the difference in gallons. The wider you go, the more large it will appear to a casual onlooker, but a 1" width difference isn't going to look any bigger. You're overthinking it.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You put down a security deposit and I doubt you get it back no matter how clean you leave the place. Unless the contract states no fish tanks, I wouldn't sweat it. I personally would never have carpet in a room with a tank because you do get small spills all the time. You can lay down a towel though to absorb it all.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider the worst case scenario of a total tank failure. 20G of water raining down on the tenant below isn't going to do any less damage than 40G, for the most part.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider the worst case scenario of a total tank failure. 20G of water raining down on the tenant below isn't going to do any less damage than 40G, for the most part.
Yep....been there, done that.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I had when I lived In one of my first apartments YEARS back when I first started reefing (well over a decade ago) I once fell asleep with the RODI running….. ended up waking up with the maintenance guy banging on my door wondering why the downstairs neighbors ceiling was raining….

Whoops :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Thankfully I didn’t get charged any kind of damage fee or anything else. But I’ve never received a security deposit back from ANY apartment I ever lived in so who knows, maybe that was their reasoning that time

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no the 9 gallons smaller is just so it appears smaller. Lease does not state anything about fish tanks and they have no issue w my bird or dog. But I just was thinking the smaller tank would look smaller to the manager.

Post # 10 scaring me

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no the 9 gallons smaller is just so it appears smaller. Lease does not state anything about fish tanks and they have no issue w my bird or dog. But I just was thinking the smaller tank would look smaller to the manager.

Post # 10 scaring me
Use a python and be careful when filling your ATO and adding fresh saltwater. You're talking two 5 gallon buckets for a 25% water change every other week. If you spill, it should be a couple ounces here and there near the tank. Use towels as suggested. Many folks have carpet and larger tanks.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Very appreciated information. also I'm getting a new G2 system from LFS who will be paid to setup. I presume those are like among the most well-made and least prone to leaks or other accidents, right? That is why I am getting the G2 because I live in someone else's property (since I got divorced and moved in an apt). If it were my own home, one day later on, it would be BIG and on the cheap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back