Protecting carpet from spillage and mitigating landlord concerns with 42 gallon reef tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I ordered a Red Sea Reefer 200, which is 41 gallon tank but like 50 gallons total system volume. I am new at this so I ordered the Max model figuring the more mechanical help the better. But I live in an upstairs apartment that has carpeting. I want to mitigate any concerns the manager will have when she first sees the tank. She told me not to get a big one, so I figure 41 gallon is not too large. If they huff and puff I will throw money at the problem in terms of giving them a security deposit. I can find nothing on the internet that suggests a tank my size will pose any problems. But one concern they may have is water spillage. Does anyone know of any good kind of mat or something I might place underneath or in front of the reef tank to protect against spillage? Thank you so much!
I think the best solution is to avoid the spillage. The problem with a plastic covering over carpet - is that if you have a large spill, the water will seep under the carpet anyway. I assume you bought a redsea stand - which means circulation beneath the stand will not be great. I would also make sure that your rental policy covers damage from a tank. For example - let's say the tank broke and leaked the whole 42 gallons which would likely damage the floor underneath. On a brighter note, I have a carpet in front of my tank and it has not been an issue (it is an area rug) and have not had an issue.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best solution is to avoid the spillage. The problem with a plastic covering over carpet - is that if you have a large spill, the water will seep under the carpet anyway. I assume you bought a redsea stand - which means circulation beneath the stand will not be great. I would also make sure that your rental policy covers damage from a tank. For example - let's say the tank broke and leaked the whole 42 gallons which would likely damage the floor underneath. On a brighter note, I have a carpet in front of my tank and it has not been an issue (it is an area rug) and have not had an issue.

My rental coverage will only cover accidental damage and a leak is not considered that. My understanding is the G2 stands are sturdier than previous.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My rental coverage will only cover accidental damage and a leak is not considered that. My understanding is the G2 stands are sturdier than previous.
Sorry - I wasn't clearer. I would recommend talking to your insurance and document what happens if a large spill damages not only your apartment, but the apartments underneath. I agree that RedSea is as good as any other (The G2). . There are policies out there that cover a leak as well - however, they do not usually cover lets say a leak that has done damage for months, only an 'acute' leak. Most insurances (unless specialty) do not cover the inhabitants, but will cover the tank, stand, etc.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my suggestion was overlooked but you could use this and run thin drain tubing under/along baseboards if you have a drain somewhere. You’d have to get creative but it seems like you need something foolproof

Attachments

• 46C9F7FF-EE6C-489C-950A-012EE5EB6283.png
    46C9F7FF-EE6C-489C-950A-012EE5EB6283.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 6DF953BB-13B1-4C9A-935F-8CEF23E36D62.png
    6DF953BB-13B1-4C9A-935F-8CEF23E36D62.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I wasn't clearer. I would recommend talking to your insurance and document what happens if a large spill damages not only your apartment, but the apartments underneath. I agree that RedSea is as good as any other (The G2). . There are policies out there that cover a leak as well - however, they do not usually cover lets say a leak that has done damage for months, only an 'acute' leak. Most insurances (unless specialty) do not cover the inhabitants, but will cover the tank, stand, etc.

well if I need to change insurances I will. I think most policies are written in the similar format "Accidental damage." IDK.

It is not that I am overthinking this because I do believe aa brand new G2 tank in 42 gallon range should not burst or anything. I just want to take all steps to show landlord I am covered and not worry. God divorce sucks I lost my home. It is what it is.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if I need to change insurances I will. I think most policies are written in the similar format "Accidental damage." IDK.

It is not that I am overthinking this because I do believe aa brand new G2 tank in 42 gallon range should not burst or anything. I just want to take all steps to show landlord I am covered and not worry. God divorce sucks I lost my home. It is what it is.

That what all the other Red Sea owner thought on the last model that has seam burst issues left and right. Plan ahead and take the proper preventative steps. Nothing wrong with that

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back