Protecting carpet from spillage and mitigating landlord concerns with 42 gallon reef tank

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't go through all the replies but in case no one mentioned no matter what you lay under the tank the carpet will be ruined and you shouldn't expect any return on your deposit for that. I've had bigger in apartments(ground floor) and never had a problem.

Spillage I did see good advise but sans a catastrophic failure in the tank I wouldn't even bother with.

But you should also look into your state's laws and renters insurance policy and consult with a local lawyer if you are so concerned before trusting the internet.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a python and be careful when filling your ATO and adding fresh saltwater. You're talking two 5 gallon buckets for a 25% water change every other week. If you spill, it should be a couple ounces here and there near the tank. Use towels as suggested. Many folks have carpet and larger tanks.
I came here to say this. Python system is absolutely amazing. It truely is spill free.

On my 20g that sat in my office I would siphon water out by hand and then dump water in from a 5 gallon jug. Even when I was super careful, water would end up every where.

I thought the python system was silly and overpriced (it is expensive for a bunch for hoses). But it has been worth every cent. I can do a water change in my 100g in the same amount of time it would take me to do it in my 20g and floors and myself stayed 100% dry.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't go through all the replies but in case no one mentioned no matter what you lay under the tank the carpet will be ruined and you shouldn't expect any return on your deposit for that. I've had bigger in apartments(ground floor) and never had a problem.

Spillage I did see good advise but sans a catastrophic failure in the tank I wouldn't even bother with.

But you should also look into your state's laws and renters insurance policy and consult with a local lawyer if you are so concerned before trusting the internet.
I checked with my State Farm agent, and he says I am totally covered for the fish aquarium. I'm just gonna buy earthquake insurance.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see there are two things to be tooled up for in my apartment: water change, meaning taking water out,and adding water in. I was watching one video on YouTube and this guy was saying that the water pump is so much better than a python because it doesn't have to connect to the faucet you just put it to a hose when you put in the bucket or whatever. With a 40 gallon tank, I'm gonna be pumping out let's say 4 gallons a week. It's a bit of a job. At first at least I imagine I have to water change more. That's a lot of water to have to deal with 4 gallons. I can imagine it with somebody with a big tank dealing with all that water, but being in an apartment and then having to cycle out four a gallon of water every week. And then getting it back in. Trying to picture in my mind how to throw money and brains at the problem to make it as simple and easy as possible. Because budget is lesw an issue when it comes to time and safety. Im certain someone here on the Internet with all the this experienced reefers has the seamless procedure.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put this on the carpet around my aquarium. When you spill water, it beads up and sits on top. Gives you a while to clean it up. They also make outdoor versions specifically to make outdoor furniture cushions water and UV protected. You may want to check those out too.

Scotchguard.jpg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the responses and support here. But I am wondering my tank is kind of large @ 41 display.
Should I consider telling my LFS I changed my mind and want the 32 gal display version, or am I over-thinking?
the difference is the smaller one has a 1" less width. talking Red Sea 170 versus 200. But I ordered the 200. Kinda wished I ordered the 170 so in my mind it is safer in case of disaster etc.
You are overthinking. The 41 is not large and a 32 is very as mall and will further limit you. If they are worried about the carpet you could get a rug from Home Depot to put under the tank stand so that any water would affect that and not the carpet below. Or you could lay a plastic tarp of some kind.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the responses and support here. But I am wondering my tank is kind of large @ 41 display.
Should I consider telling my LFS I changed my mind and want the 32 gal display version, or am I over-thinking?
the difference is the smaller one has a 1" less width. talking Red Sea 170 versus 200. But I ordered the 200. Kinda wished I ordered the 170 so in my mind it is safer in case of disaster etc.
Over thinking! I placed an exterior throw rug under the tank stand. Works perfect. Besides landlords don’t install very expensive carpet. I’ve been here for six years with no unmanageable issues.

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max E 170 on carpet in my bedroom and it’s fine. Also had a Reefer 425XL at one point. I mix my saltwater in a brute and use the return pump in there connected to a python hose to fill my aquarium. I use a Sicce zero pump with the python hose to drain. Back when I was using buckets to drain/fill, a lot more spills. Now virtually nothing

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see there are two things to be tooled up for in my apartment: water change, meaning taking water out,and adding water in. I was watching one video on YouTube and this guy was saying that the water pump is so much better than a python because it doesn't have to connect to the faucet you just put it to a hose when you put in the bucket or whatever. With a 40 gallon tank, I'm gonna be pumping out let's say 4 gallons a week. It's a bit of a job. At first at least I imagine I have to water change more. That's a lot of water to have to deal with 4 gallons. I can imagine it with somebody with a big tank dealing with all that water, but being in an apartment and then having to cycle out four a gallon of water every week. And then getting it back in. Trying to picture in my mind how to throw money and brains at the problem to make it as simple and easy as possible. Because budget is lesw an issue when it comes to time and safety. Im certain someone here on the Internet with all the this experienced reefers has the seamless procedure.
Python eliminates the buckets. That's where the spillage happens.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are paying to rent a place, do they have a pet deposit? What’s in your contract? Most small landlords don’t have the proper contracts to worry about this. Larger landlords aren’t going to care much.

More than likely your carpet is cheap, you should have a security deposit and your Landlord should have insurance. Worst case you flood and a cleanup happens. Toilets flood, showers leak water gets between units and it’s life.

As a landlord, I don’t care about a fish tank. A dog or cat does more damage. Overall if your manager cares about the place, keeping tenants happy causes less turnover and more money in their pocket.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked with my State Farm agent, and he says I am totally covered for the fish aquarium. I'm just gonna buy earthquake insurance.
What are you talking about?
Your insurance doesn’t pay for your security deposit.

What’s being said is that no matter what you do, the apartment people will deam
The carpets as messed up in some way and you won’t get back the security doors or you have them to move in.

The carpets will have indentation marks where the tank was sitting from all the wight even if you don’t ever spill a drop of water.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about?
Your insurance doesn’t pay for your security deposit.

What’s being said is that no matter what you do, the apartment people will deam
The carpets as messed up in some way and you won’t get back the security doors or you have them to move in.

The carpets will have indentation marks where the tank was sitting from all the wight even if you don’t ever spill a drop of water.
Agree. Earthquake coverage (I would assume) would cover the physical tank - not livestock - from a failure caused by the earthquake. Any property you own that is damaged from this reaction (assumption again) would be covered. The renters insurance only covers your personal property per your coverage and levels and not any property of the property owner. They either self insure or pay for insurance on the structure. Make sure you ask appropriate questions of your insurance agent. Keep in mind that they want to sell you things because they make a commission on it.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 38 gallon and a 55 gallon in upstairs apartments. 4 to 5 gallon water changes aren't a big deal unless you have issues with lifting, I usually did them every other week. Get 7 gallon buckets, have towels handy, make up a siphon tube/gravel vac for WC into the bucket. Bring the waste either outside or down toilet/shower. Why waste your time with a pump....you are going to want to suck algae and other crap out of your tank when you water change.

They make holders for siphon tubes for buckets. I would think a python system would be overkill imo. Unless you are extremely clumsy.

When I sent water downstairs is was either by making RO/DI in my kitchen into a bucket and forgot ( after that started to make it in my shower).

Another time was my ATO that I didn't have fastened properly to my sump, the tube moved and emptied the bucket. Messed up the ceiling sheet rock a bit.

Another time, not reef related, I had a container with cleaning solution for beer brewing. The bucket had a spigot on the bottom which let loose.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Earthquake coverage (I would assume) would cover the physical tank - not livestock - from a failure caused by the earthquake. Any property you own that is damaged from this reaction (assumption again) would be covered. The renters insurance only covers your personal property per your coverage and levels and not any property of the property owner. They either self insure or pay for insurance on the structure. Make sure you ask appropriate questions of your insurance agent. Keep in mind that they want to sell you things because they make a commission on it.

I specifically asked my State Farm agent about any damage caused my the fish tank and he said my renters insurance would cover it. Unless it is an earthquake. I will get earthquake insurance because when I told the manager I wanted a 100 gallon tank she said : "OMG what if there is an earthquake." So the earthquake insurance is a mitigation to her concern of that, even though there are likely to be a deductible. I am sure of there was an earthquake large enough to topple my tank they would have more severe issues than my tank because I have seen the images of earthquakes in Japan and fish tanks, they just seem to cause splash issues.

edit

I better ask my State Farm agent again what you are raising concerns me. I want coverage I would be liable for if my tank ruptures etc.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have one of those infamous seam busting issues, you will be fine. I keep 2 small tanks in an apartment and all my spills happened while making RODI water. Very rarely during water change or working on the tank.
Agreed with this, it's more important to remember to shut off your RO/DI than worry about tank leaks! The read sea systems are designed so that the sump can handle the water volume that can drain from the display in case of power outage, so your only concern with the tank itself should be your own messiness while maintaining. As someone else said, I just have cheap towels that I throw down when doing maintenance.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked my State Farm agent to clarify my liability coverage he said only covers accidents. Would not cover leaks. I am thinking and not sure, that my G2 max will come with an app that will alert me if there are leaks. I need to double check that.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation since I have my aquarium in my office at work.

All I can really add is to reinforce the notion of not skimping on equipment to make the water change easy. I can't use a python because I don't have a sink reasonably close so I had to come up with another approach.

One tip I have is to go to a homebrew store and get 7-gallon buckets. (They are used as fermenters) That gives you a lot of extra room when you put 5 gallons of water in.

The other thing that has been well worthwhile is I bought a couple of garden pond pumps. One lives in my sump, and I just turn it on to pump water into the buckets. I have another pump just like it that I use to transfer fresh salt water from my storage barrel into the buckets. (My salt mixing station is in a laboratory down the hall) Then I use that same pump to move the water from the bucket into the sump. This minimizes how much I have to move a wet dripping pump around my office.

If I had a sink within reach, I would definitely invest in some auto water change equipment.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation since I have my aquarium in my office at work.

All I can really add is to reinforce the notion of not skimping on equipment to make the water change easy. I can't use a python because I don't have a sink reasonably close so I had to come up with another approach.

One tip I have is to go to a homebrew store and get 7-gallon buckets. (They are used as fermenters) That gives you a lot of extra room when you put 5 gallons of water in.

The other thing that has been well worthwhile is I bought a couple of garden pond pumps. One lives in my sump, and I just turn it on to pump water into the buckets. I have another pump just like it that I use to transfer fresh salt water from my storage barrel into the buckets. (My salt mixing station is in a laboratory down the hall) Then I use that same pump to move the water from the bucket into the sump. This minimizes how much I have to move a wet dripping pump around my office.

If I had a sink within reach, I would definitely invest in some auto water change equipment.

What is considered sink in reach? My tank will be in the living room. The Kitchen is IDK a hose with 25' would get there. I am also not sure about the Ro-di, they seem large and will take up a lot of space underneath like a kitchen sink? or maybe not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back