Protecting carpet from spillage and mitigating landlord concerns with 42 gallon reef tank

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how far the python can stretch. 25' seems like it might be within range. In my case it would have to be about 120' and then it would be going down the hall and out of sight through 3 doorways. I just never considered that a real possibility.

I use a cart to move my buckets around so I'm not sloshing water over the side. That has also been a big help.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is considered sink in reach? My tank will be in the living room. The Kitchen is IDK a hose with 25' would get there. I am also not sure about the Ro-di, they seem large and will take up a lot of space underneath like a kitchen sink? or maybe not.
I just watched the Python pitch on BRS TV....they have all lengths of hose.

They make sink adapters for hooking up the RO/DI. You can run the sink while it is hooked up, but not running. You could also take the unit down when not in use. I had one where I had it under my kitchen sink, but ran the good water down the stairs to a safe place to fill buckets. The drain line I ran to the sink drain and pierced the drain pipe, they make saddles for this.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among everyone's recommendations, grab some pig mats and tubes, I keep one behind all my fishtanks to catch any oversplash where I can't reach, and have a few spares to "surround" any emergencies.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how far the python can stretch. 25' seems like it might be within range. In my case it would have to be about 120' and then it would be going down the hall and out of sight through 3 doorways. I just never considered that a real possibility.

I use a cart to move my buckets around so I'm not sloshing water over the side. That has also been a big help.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also lease an office for my business. I read the lease agreement, it clearly restricts anything live from being in there. So, having a fish tank in my office would be a violation of that agreement. Too bad I have plenty of space there.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also lease an office for my business. I read the lease agreement, it clearly restricts anything live from being in there. So, having a fish tank in my office would be a violation of my that agreement. Bummer I would like one there.
Yeah, I'm fortunate that I can get away with it. Because of that I tread lightly, and invested quite a bit to keep the aesthetics high.

robg2008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use towels when working on the tank. Maybe an apex with leak sensors etc to know if there is ever a problem you need to deal with.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the python putting chlorinated freshwater into the tank? I don't get it...

Instead of buckets, I use these:
jug.jpg

small pump fits right in the container to pump water back into the tank. No pouring from buckets. I do place it on a 3 foot step stool to speed it up with more head.

Kevin_Mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I et up my reefer 450 ( on hardwood floors ) I lay a full sheet of heavy duty plastic under whole area and a little up the wall behind tank. Then put tank on top ,fold in the edges. cut indoor outdoor carpet in a u shop to fit around tank stand .
When working on tank just mover carpet away unfold plastic cover with towels and work away
Works great keeping saltwater off floor

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the python putting chlorinated freshwater into the tank? I don't get it...

Instead of buckets, I use these:
jug.jpg

small pump fits right in the container to pump water back into the tank. No pouring from buckets. I do place it on a 3 foot step stool to speed it up with more head.
You can attach the hose with the included fitting to a pump in your saltwater mixing bin and use it to move water to your tank

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also make sure to have it away from the wall. The salt will damage the drywall over time. Get a flood alert for the floor. If it leaks or water gets on the floor it will alarm for you before too much has leaked onto the floor.

Mine is on a carpeted area and o put it on a chair pad for carpet that extends about 9” on all sides. Protoss the carpet from the small bits that always seem to fall when pulling hands out of the tank

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also make sure to have it away from the wall. The salt will damage the drywall over time. Get a flood alert for the floor. If it leaks or water gets on the floor it will alarm for you before too much has leaked onto the floor.

Mine is on a carpeted area and o put it on a chair pad for carpet that extends about 9” on all sides. Protoss the carpet from the small bits that always seem to fall when pulling hands out of the tank

What kind of floor alert are you referring to? I m still not sure if the MAx G2 app detects leaks. I am getting different answers.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes with the ATO+ out of the box, that includes a leak detector.

I do not understand the mechanics of it. How does an app/system know when the main tank (aquarium) is losing water? I thought to be able to do that would be very expensive.

But then with a google search and the threads above I see stuff, like this:

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand the mechanics of it. How does an app/system know when the main tank (aquarium) is losing water? I thought to be able to do that would be very expensive.

But then with a google search and the threads above I see stuff, like this:

It detects water on surfaces it should not be. Like your cabinet or floor. Not sure how effective it is on carpet. It is simply a conductivity alarm. The salt water bridges two electrodes and makes the connection, setting off the alarm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back