Reef Trace?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have an all softies tank and i dont do WCs as often as i should because i don't have RODI on demand. So, i wanted to replenish whatever trace elements that might be depleted. What are your thoughts and experiences with Reef Trace?

Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve used and can’t say if it has any effect or not.
Corals are happy

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used and can’t say if it has any effect or not.
Corals are happy
So I am doing some online research on this (All For Reef) myself to see if this is a better set-up than having all three (ALK, CA & MAG) in my new nano set-up....what are some of the benefits of the AFR, are the ALK, CA & MAG stable...what are your levels? I am curious...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I am doing some online research on this (All For Reef) myself to see if this is a better set-up than having all three (ALK, CA & MAG) in my new nano set-up....what are some of the benefits of the AFR, are the ALK, CA & MAG stable...what are your levels? I am curious...
benefits are combined 3 essentials for corals at low concentration.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you mean by "low concentration"?
For me, it’s when you use a product according to recommended m/l without overdosing. I’ve had it where before automatic dosers , ESV and Red Sea WERE DOSED according to bottle and mainly alk and ca became elevated

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it’s when you use a product according to recommended m/l without overdosing. I’ve had it where before automatic dosers , ESV and Red Sea WERE DOSED according to bottle and mainly alk and ca became elevated

That isn't making sense to me, but in general, NO calcium and alk method should be dosed in mL per day. One always needs to determine what dose is appropriate.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That isn't making sense to me, but in general, NO calcium and alk method should be dosed in mL per day. One always needs to determine what dose is appropriate.
I agree and here is ESV AS AN EXAMPLE:
For alk, to help maintain the ionic balance of the aquarium water. The recommended starting dose is 1 mL of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day. Test calcium and alkalinity frequently until the correct dosing amount is achieved to keep both elements stable from day to day

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and here is ESV AS AN EXAMPLE:
For alk, to help maintain the ionic balance of the aquarium water. The recommended starting dose is 1 mL of each component per 4 gallons of aquarium capacity per day. Test calcium and alkalinity frequently until the correct dosing amount is achieved to keep both elements stable from day to day

Those directions seem fine to me. :)

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those directions seem fine to me. :)
So are you pro or against the All-In_One type formula? I went to a LFS and ask about it (ALL FOR Reef) from Tropic Marin and the vendor almost had a heart attack when I told him I was looking into switching from the 3 part dosing to one part; mentioning (unbalance is tracing elements, calcium, etc.) I am really curious about this

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you pro or against the All-In_One type formula? I went to a LFS and ask about it (ALL FOR Reef) from Tropic Marin and the vendor almost had a heart attack when I told him I was looking into switching from the 3 part dosing to one part; mentioning (unbalance is tracing elements, calcium, etc.) I am really curious about this

All in one types of products are fine. Their primary advantage is only one thing to dose.

Primary disadvantages involve determining doses when alk does not show up right away, cost, poorer pH control, and the fixed ratio of alk to calcium that may require additional products to precisely maintain your target parameters.

Products containing acetate also have more O2 and organic carbon dosing impacts to be worried about. Formate products, less so.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in one types of products are fine. Their primary advantage is only one thing to dose.

Primary disadvantages involve determining doses when alk does not show up right away, cost, poorer pH control, and the fixed ratio of alk to calcium that may require additional products to precisely maintain your target parameters.

Products containing acetate also have more O2 and organic carbon dosing impacts to be worried about. Formate products, less so.
Thank you... :D Ok...Wow...that is a lot to understand and YES I am looking up what "Formate" is...lol

Back