OP
OP
Reef A Palooza California

Reef A Palooza California

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kids' Zone at Reefapalooza California has face painting, balloon twisting, characters, and MORE! It is all included with your entry ticket. Best of all, kids 12 and under get in FREE!
kids zone2 R2R copy.jpg

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m a new LFS owner Under_the_sea_aquatics in Northern Ca, my wife and I will be attending the show for the first time. I was wondering if it was worth driving our truck to haul back some tanks and products hoping to get a good deal. Or are we just better off flying into town and flying back with whatever coral we purchase? It will take us about 7 1/2 hours to drive. As I’m sure you were aware opening a fish store is expensive and we’re trying to save wherever we can. Also, hoping to learn enough so we can attend next year.

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont
Hello,
I’m a new LFS owner Under_the_sea_aquatics in Northern Ca, my wife and I will be attending the show for the first time. I was wondering if it was worth driving our truck to haul back some tanks and products hoping to get a good deal. Or are we just better off flying into town and flying back with whatever coral we purchase? It will take us about 7 1/2 hours to drive. As I’m sure you were aware opening a fish store is expensive and we’re trying to save wherever we can. Also, hoping to learn enough so we can attend next year.
Just a grain of salt... but I don't think tanks are really sold there. Lotta products but not much tanks. Then again this is my experience from 7 years ago. This will be my first show since, but back then I remember seeing companies show casing their tanks and products but I don't think they had any for anyone to take home.

I could be wrong... so maybe others will chime in?

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I tend to echo what @TopClamSkoo said. It’s been a few years for me, but I don’t remember a lot of tanks for sale, it’s more of an exhibition. It is a good place to face to face with a lot of wholesalers like Sea Dwelling creatures and reef nutrition for a LFS owner. I would imagine the main thing you’ll be taking home would be corals, which could be checked onto your flight. Sundays towards closing is the best time for deals, and could be a nice way to stock your shop with some new pieces. Bring a cooler or styrofoam box. (If they’re allowed?)

SGV - Bluestar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fly in fly out. Last year was just really a coral sale vendors, and few big show their tech. Not expecting anything much new this year either. Maybe next year if we move back to fairground, but fly in and out is better. Also bring a clear travel coral container for corals if your buying anything and mark it with big label coral / live species for TSA.

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Hello Nick,

Congratulations on the store! Owning a LFS a lot of work, but building a great community around it is rewarding. Your reviews on Yelp and Google are absolutely raving. I'll have to make a trip up there one day.

If you're looking to purchase inventory for the store you should 100% drive, as it's the easiest way to safely bring home bulk frags. A good amount of people will offer lot deals at the end of the show (buy all of my remaining corals for a big discount). It gives you a great deal and price to work with while also helping the vendors pack up less at the end of the day. It's very rare that you'll be able to cherry-pick 1000s of aquacultured frags from so many different vendors. The variety you can bring home is staggering compared to having to place the usual wholesale wild colony order from a single company. It's like having over 100 different places to shop under one roof, and everyone carries something different. The frags you purchase are also ready to sell, something that you rarely encounter from most wholesalers. Making the initial drive will also prepare you physically/ mentally if you decide to come next year as a vendor (but coming down just to shop could be worth it alone).

You can also fly down to SoCal, rent a car, and drive all of your frags back up. The 7 hours you save on your first day you can visit wholesalers around LAX and other LFS in SoCal. Or just enjoy your time away from the store.

See you this weekend!

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not the best place to ask, but the last RAP I went to was almost a decade ago.

Will I be disappointed if I go in expecting some good deals?

I don't like spending too much on designer coral but I will splurge on a few nice corals here and there.

Obviously I don't expect jaw dropping deals, but what is the general experience like as someone who wants to pick up a few corals? Will it be cheaper than local LFSs? Priced to sell for the weekend? Or will they be priced a bit high to account for the vendors time and effort in addition to having a lot of eyes on their coral?

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not the best place to ask, but the last RAP I went to was almost a decade ago.

Will I be disappointed if I go in expecting some good deals?

I don't like spending too much on designer coral but I will splurge on a few nice corals here and there.

Obviously I don't expect jaw dropping deals, but what is the general experience like as someone who wants to pick up a few corals? Will it be cheaper than local LFSs? Priced to sell for the weekend? Or will they be priced a bit high to account for the vendors time and effort in addition to having a lot of eyes on their coral?
I would say it depends on what you are looking for. The best deals can be found when it comes to aquacultured frags, as locals and other vendors as those pieces are more flexible in pricing since they didn't have to originally purchase them. Higher-end corals that have trade names also tend to stay around a certain baseline since they can be sold online or are harder to come across.

If you're looking for wild colonies that your LFS usually sells, then I would say prices would be about the same or possibly slightly more. The trade-off is that you will be to shop a much larger variety instead of just one store in case you're looking for something a little different. If you see multiple pieces you want from one booth, always ask if they can bundle them together for a discount. Almost every vendor will agree unless they already have a deal going.

Come on Day 1 if you want to pick up some really cherry pieces. Come about 3 hours from closing on Day 2 if you want to make some deals on the leftovers or if what you're looking for is more common (torches, certain aquacultured corals, etc).

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on what you are looking for. The best deals can be found when it comes to aquacultured frags, as locals and other vendors as those pieces are more flexible in pricing since they didn't have to originally purchase them. Higher-end corals that have trade names also tend to stay around a certain baseline since they can be sold online or are harder to come across.

If you're looking for wild colonies that your LFS usually sells, then I would say prices would be about the same or possibly slightly more. The trade-off is that you will be to shop a much larger variety instead of just one store in case you're looking for something a little different. If you see multiple pieces you want from one booth, always ask if they can bundle them together for a discount. Almost every vendor will agree unless they already have a deal going.

Come on Day 1 if you want to pick up some really cherry pieces. Come about 3 hours from closing on Day 2 if you want to make some deals on the leftovers or if what you're looking for is more common (torches, certain aquacultured corals, etc).
That's great insight from the vendor side of things.

Thanks for the input!

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is me right now, I can't decide if I want to go on day 1 to see everything or go on day 2 for the discounts of the leftovers. Tough to decide. I'm only going for 1 day. Leaning towards day 1 at the moment.

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Nick,

Congratulations on the store! Owning a LFS a lot of work, but building a great community around it is rewarding. Your reviews on Yelp and Google are absolutely raving. I'll have to make a trip up there one day.

If you're looking to purchase inventory for the store you should 100% drive, as it's the easiest way to safely bring home bulk frags. A good amount of people will offer lot deals at the end of the show (buy all of my remaining corals for a big discount). It gives you a great deal and price to work with while also helping the vendors pack up less at the end of the day. It's very rare that you'll be able to cherry-pick 1000s of aquacultured frags from so many different vendors. The variety you can bring home is staggering compared to having to place the usual wholesale wild colony order from a single company. It's like having over 100 different places to shop under one roof, and everyone carries something different. The frags you purchase are also ready to sell, something that you rarely encounter from most wholesalers. Making the initial drive will also prepare you physically/ mentally if you decide to come next year as a vendor (but coming down just to shop could be worth it alone).

You can also fly down to SoCal, rent a car, and drive all of your frags back up. The 7 hours you save on your first day you can visit wholesalers around LAX and other LFS in SoCal. Or just enjoy your time away from the store.

See you this weekend!
Great advice !

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is me right now, I can't decide if I want to go on day 1 to see everything or go on day 2 for the discounts of the leftovers. Tough to decide. I'm only going for 1 day. Leaning towards day 1 at the moment.
If it's only for a day, definitely do Day 1! It's a lot more fun to see the tanks packed with cherry pieces and you will have first dibs. Then you'll have Sunday to relax at home and enjoy your new inhabitants.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back