Reefapalooza Orlando is approaching, any advice from seasoned reef show-goers?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby in some capacity for years, but this will be my first ever show. Any advice from those who have been to Reefapalooza in particular, or just shows generally? How have you transported coral home on a plane? Is buying on Saturday but picking up late-ish on Sunday viable? Any slept-on vendors to specifically check out this year? I've heard get there early on day 1 to see what's out there before it gets picked over, is that the best approach? Any newbie mistakes to avoid?

Basically, what have you done to make the most of your experiences at shows like these? Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been in the hobby in some capacity for years, but this will be my first ever show. Any advice from those who have been to Reefapalooza in particular, or just shows generally? How have you transported coral home on a plane? Is buying on Saturday but picking up late-ish on Sunday viable? Any slept-on vendors to specifically check out this year? I've heard get there early on day 1 to see what's out there before it gets picked over, is that the best approach? Any newbie mistakes to avoid?

Basically, what have you done to make the most of your experiences at shows like these? Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!
Look at the map and prioritize who you must visit and write down booth numbers
Email vendors if there’s something you want them to bring without paying shipping
Bring Styron, heat or cold packs and cash as some don’t have credit card readers
Hunt for freebies often available at this show

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently planning on getting an insulated lunch box and some sort of cups or similar to bring frags home. I've been seeing some threads on this but not sure if this is kosher / if the frags will be ok? I'm honestly trying to avoid spending money that could be for coral on any fancy transportation system that will be used very infrequently if at all going forward. Do they need to have more than the lunchbox's built in insulation plus the clothes and such inside the suitcase to keep the temp stable?

Are the freebies you mentioned the things you would get on entry or are there other things (living or non-living, lol) to look out for?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back