Reefbooster and Bioptim...

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to incorporate Reefbooster with my Prodibio dosing. Is it alright to dose it during the day? I've been dosing the other stuff at night when the lights are off. I'll be dosing the reefbooster with the bioptim today. Thanks!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's fine.

Out of curiousity, why are you going to dose the RB? Do you fully understand what it is and can do?

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my 7th week of dosing Biodigest and Bioptim, and from what I've read, I should be using reefbooster after the 6th week. Should I wait 'til my SPS starts to look pastel in color? Majority of them are doing great in terms of color and growth.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I wait 'til my SPS starts to look pastel in color?
Yes, and you obviously know what it's about ;)

I see many people following the "directions" to a T (for probiotic methods), which you should to an extent, but as with everything in reefing "directions" are more "guidelines". Adding Reefbooster when you really don't need it can adversely effect the system if there's still enough nutrients in the water to feed the coral. Personally I would never really use it as you can always feed your fish and coral more. Eventually, if you have a small amount of fish or your corals begin to pale I would give it a go.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input and suggestion. I'll hold off dosing reefbooster and just add the bioptim today and just continue to observe the tank for any changes. I only have 3 fishes right now and feed them twice a day with pellets and flakes. My corals gets 2-3 times of oyster feast and roti feast each week. Thanks again:bigsmile:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. If you were only feeding fish, I would say go for the RB down the line, but since you feed your corals you're all good. I might try feeding RB one week and then your OF and RF alternate weeks if you already have purchased the RB. Corals go nuts for it (and it would add some variety), all three might be a little much though ;)

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe IMHO you are over feeding your tank, depending on how much rock and how old/mature it is, fish can eat off the rock and pods for days at a time.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try feeding RB one week and then your OF and RF alternate weeks

Sounds good:)

I do believe IMHO you are over feeding your tank, depending on how much rock and how old/mature it is, fish can eat off the rock and pods for days at a time.

I don't put too much when I feed my fishes. Just enough that I can see them finish everything I put inside the tank. I only use 10 drops of OF and RF twice a week most of the time. Plus my skimmer should take care all the leftovers;)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your opinion, and respectfully disagree. (Most) Fish in nature eat all day long, eavery day. To starve them in captivity in order to keep parameter levels in line is not right IMHO, not when we can easily control these parameters with all the different means of filtration and feeding responsibly (making sure food is eaten by fish and not going to waste). I'm a firm believer in giving the animals we keep the best care possible (see my sig).

Fish in captivity should be (healthy) fat like this:

IMG_3816.jpg

I do agree that if you have a very well established system some fish can pick at the rocks or algae and have some food to scavange for, but many fish do neither (anthias for example).

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Stun soon that fish wont be able to keep itself afloat, J/K of course. I am in the heavy feeding group myself. My fish get lots of Rods food every day, and sheets of algae for the tangs.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunreefer,
I respect your opinion, knowledge and expertise, what I was referring to is the days I do not add fish food my fish are eating off of the 300lb of LR I have in my tank as well as the days I do feed fish food. My MH go off at 830 then just the Actinics are on but in the fuge/sump the lights come on at 830 and I can watch the fish go on a pod feast every night about that time. Good looking Purple Tang!!!

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed reefbooster couple hrs. ago with biodigest after my water change. The reefbooster made the whole tank cloudy..hehe. Keeping the skimmer off for a couple hrs. too.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned on my skimmer back and not much bubbles building up inside the cone. Is this normal after dosing reefbooster? Plus my skimmer pump got louder for some reason. Hope it goes back to normal by tomorrow morning.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect that to happen based on the high fatty acid content. It would make the skimmer act similar to feeding PE Mysis without rinsing first. Should go back to normal soon, however I'm not sure why your pump would get louder... keep an eye on it and maybe give it a cleaning.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile: skimmer is back to normal and not so loud anymore, plus the water is clear again. I was worried 'cause my skimmer pump used to be loud when I first got it but Victor fixed it for me and it's doing much better.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back